Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Close to pulling the trigger

Close to pulling the trigger

Hello!
    I've been researching guitar kits for the past couple of weeks. Thankfully I found Pitbull which has what I'm looking for and can even do some modifications that I want for a very reasonable price. I haven't made the purchase yet. I want to make sure that this is something that I can do.

I'm considering one of the Thinline Telecasters and I would do a Tru Oil finish to show off the quilted maple veneer.

May I ask what is the most challenging part of doing one of these kits? And do you have any advice for how to deal with the challenge?

My biggest concern is drilling something in the wrong spot. I wish these kits had the option of coming pre-drilled like some other companies will do for you.

Thanks very much.

Not too much drilling for a thinline tele - from memory - 4 holes for the neck screws, couple for the pickguard, pickups and bridge and a final two for strap buttons...

Challenge will really be in what you find difficult - someone who's built pedals and amps before will find the wiring on a tele very basic, but may be challenged by the finishing. If you've done lots of wood finishing, that may be more of an issue.

Personally my biggest concern is in the setup (neck, intonation, fret dressing, etc) - I'd rather an ugly guitar that plays like butter, than a beautiful guitar that's ugly to play...

the thin line tele you will need to drill the bridge holes a drill press will be you're friend and theirs a bit of work needed around the veneer and the binding meet, the hardest part is the finishing if its you're 1st build you might need help, theirs a lot of guys here who will help if you get stuck or end up as a basket case
    Last edited by phrozin; 17-01-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks!

I got some good news this morning. I found a luthier that said I can use his shop and tools if I need. This is a big relief. I'm currently living and working in Shanghai, China so don't have access to my own tools and wasn't looking forward to buying duplicates. More importantly I've got someone that can look things over before I do something stupid. I have a lot of experience working on motorcycles but that's mainly taking stuff apart and putting it back together. There's no artistry or aesthetics involved. So this will be outside my comfort zone.

As far as the kit that I am planning to build, I have a Gibson SG and want something that will both look and sound different. So I'm planning to purchase the Thinline Telecaster with quilted maple veneer. I'm planning two modifications: 1) quilted maple on the headstock and 2) modifying the body to accommodate a hybrid pick guard. I plan to simply use a Tru Oil finish. How's that sound?

I've got one last thing to decide before placing my order:

Is there a significant difference between the stock control panel and the upgraded kit? Is it worth it to upgrade? What is actually upgraded?

Truly the hardest part of any guitar build is having patience. You can’t rush anything or you will get a bad result. If in doubt stop and wait. If you come across a problem, post a picture here and ask the question. It will be unlikely you will discover something that someone here hasn’t already had to deal with.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Good advice! I placed the order 2 days ago. It won't be here for a couple of months due to the custom requests. I'm itching to get started but it's probably good to have this waiting period as it allows plenty of time to research what I want and how to do it. BTW, I ended up purchasing the electronic upgrade kit. I don't know if it's worth it but better safe than sorry.

Once I get started I know I'll have loads of questions. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching Youtube videos. Although there's consensus on a lot of things there's also many that people disagree on:

-Should a veneer top be sanded?
    -What is the highest grit sandpaper that should be used before applying Tru Oil?
    -Should Tru Oil be applied to the maple neck?
    -Should it be applied to a maple fingerboard? My other guitars (that I bought) have ebony and rosewood.
    I use lemon oil on them
    -Should you buff with steel wool after every coat, every 2 coats, 4 coats?

Mate sorry, the answers to alot of your questions are personal choice, but I'll answer with my personal preferences

-Should a veneer top be sanded?
    Very sparingly. check the top veneer with gum turpentine (or similar) for glue spots. if there are any you need to deal with them first.
    I would only sand a quilted veneer with 320 grit or 240 grit max being very careful.

-What is the highest grit sandpaper that should be used before applying Tru Oil?
    My preference is 240 or 320

-Should Tru Oil be applied to the maple neck?
    Personal preference here, I like Tru oil on necks its my preferred neck finish

-Should it be applied to a maple fingerboard? My other guitars (that I bought) have ebony and rosewood.
    I use lemon oil on them

Personal preference again, some people have used tru oil on the fret board, I dont like it, I prefer wax or lemon oil

-Should you buff with steel wool after every coat, every 2 coats, 4 coats?
    I do not use steel wool buffing anything, I don't like having the shavings everywhere.
    I use 600 grit between about 6 or 9 coats of tru oil.
    when I get to the last coats, i wet sand with 600, 1200, the up the grits with micromesh pads to 10000, then buff with a cuttting compound a number of times.

Hope that helps
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Yes, thank you. That helps a lot!

A few more random questions about finishing:

-Will the fingerboard need to be sanded or just oiled?

-Tru Oil is only available in 3 ounce/90 ml bottles where I live. How many coats of the neck, body and headstock should I expect to get from this?

Should the ash body be sanded before applying filler and then sand again after? Or is all sanding done after applying filler?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast