Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don Cooke Bass FVB-4 Chrome Build

Don Cooke Bass FVB-4 Chrome Build

Received 10.01.19, Saturday 120119 now looking at all components and will look for wiring diagrams.

The pbg site has some wiring diagrams...under the heading guides.

This is listed for your bass.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-co.../pdf/FVB-4.pdf

Welcome to the club. Bass is good. 😎🎼🎶
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cooke View Post
    Received 10.01.19, Saturday 120119 now looking at all components and will look for wiring diagrams.
    Ok thx A500K pot volume, B500K pot tone, the 2 humbuckers have the same coloured wring, black, green and red-white ( 3 wires), doesnt it matter which is the neck pickup and which is the bridge pickup?

Whats the website adress for pbg, I couldnt fingd under www.pbg.com

Ok thx A500K pot volume, B500K pot tone, the 2 humbuckers have the same coloured wring, black, green and red-white ( 3 wires), doesnt it matter which is the neck pickup and which is the bridge pickup?
    PBG is a reference to PitbullGuitars.com. Generally the longer wire is the neck pickup - some will check the impedence with a multimeter to see which is hotter. Wire colours in the diagram will differ from the kit - they tend to change frequently and we can't keep up. Red/white wire is that two wires twisted together?

Oh and welcome along...

Thanks Brendon and Guys I have a few questions Bass FVB-4

Day 1 Build - electrics completed - dont seem to get much volume but there is a variation in the 3 point switch so that is working.
    Checked humbuckers with multimetre, same impedence , same length wire, but I know I have put the humbuckers in the wrong place coz higher pitched humbucker is by neck not by the bridge.
    No probs so electrically my only problem is not much volume. Is there a wire connected wrongly ?

Neck - there is a 3 milimetre variance - neck is too high fitting into the body - will I have to chisel out the 3 mil from the body to get a snug fit? I think so.

Humbucker recesses - wires under the humbuckers are lifting one edge so it looks like a bit of chisel work on the recess cable grooves to make the deeper.

Otherwise happy with progress... but without volume in sound it isnt much of a beast, any suggestions?

Maybe some photos of your wiring? Could be a dry solder or something.

Careful about taking anything out of the neck - the neck and pocket are designed to work with the bridge and get the right angle for the strings. Some kits are designed to have the fretboard slightly above the body.

I grabbed this random image off the www - seems that standard Flying V fretboards sit off the body?

Last edited by Brendan; 12-01-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Wires under the humbuckers may require a channel - sometimes they do - generally there is enough woof with the pickups though to give enough room.

Hey thanks Brendan,
    Turned it on today and Im getting better volume, so looking good. Ok could be the fretboard sits a little above the body in case someone wants to fit a pickguard in there.
    I will not cut into the neck and pocket, so I should just look at switching my humbuckers so that the higher pitched one is by the bridge, and look at the wiring from them to move it away from under the humbuckers . The screws that hold the humbuckers down - do they have springs sleeves? Once that stuff is sorted, I will look at the body, Its mahogany so I will go for a light mahogany to bring out the grain, then from either side of the stings a cherry burst gradient yellow orange going to deep red on the sides and the V. Then plenty of clear lacquer to give a deep shine.
    Never done anything like it before so sounds like fun !!!
    Whats the colouring on your guitars?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast