Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: GS-1sf 1st build - Cocoa

I thinking that the staining around the cuts might be glue then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the first clear coat on the guitar I am currently building I noticed a small lump on the side after the first clear coat. I thought to myself, ‘I hadn’t noticed that before, maybe it’s become obvious because of the glossy surface. Oh well, let’s sand it flat before we get any further.’ Turns out it was a very thin spot of veneer which had lifted (bubbled) and I immediately sanded through with a couple of passes with 240 grit. Unsuccessfully tried to hide it. Doesn’t bother me anymore, just a birth mark and a reminder of its history.
    Last edited by DarkMark; 15-01-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    After the first clear coat on the guitar I am currently building I noticed a small lump on the side after the first clear coat. I thought to myself, ‘I hadn’t noticed that before, maybe it’s become obvious because of the glossy surface. Oh well, let’s sand it flat before we get any further.’ Turns out it was a very thin spot of veneer which had lifted (bubbled) and I immediately sanded through with a couple of passes with 240 grit. Unsuccessfully tried to hide it. Doesn’t bother me anymore, just a birth mark and a reminder of its history.
    I’ll have a look in the morning. I’ll
    Not do any more sanding around that area until I check it out more and get some more of you guys help. It’s in a place at least it might not be that noticble and the stain will be dark so... I dunno. Just hope it’s solid

Ok further investigation reveals.... erm I’m not sure. I carried on sanding and there is definitely a fill of some sort. It’s strange. I can live with it. Lots of sanding done at 240 then 800. Lots more to do. Not sure when to stop ha ha.

Gave the top a light sand and still did the inevitable “through the veneer” trick so glad it’s going to be painted.

Sanding the sides and back (these will be stained) the grain doesn’t always go perpendicular to the sides so was putting a few scratches in there until I noticed and then sanded in the right direction (about 45 degrees across in some places.) anyway it’s looking and feeling pretty smooooooooth. Little finger sanding blister to show.

I also sanded out the pickup holes a little so that my pickups now fit without touching the sides. It only was a fraction needed sanding.

More pics

This mornings sanding was brought to you via a blues playlist I’d made on Spotify featuring.

Sonny boy Williamson : your funeral my trial
    Eric Bibb : delta gateway
    Colin James : see my grave is kept clean
    The devil makes three : champagne and reefer

To name a few.

Last edited by BuffaloGhost; 15-01-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Oh gosh, not the pinky! The factory does some strange things. I thought I had a knot on another area on the body. After sanding I came to the realisation they fixed some some issue and smeared black glue (?) back and forth for some reason. Looks to me like they have remedied some issue.

No pain no gain buffy. Theres a sure fire cure for that

Yeah. I think so too. Speaking with our wood shop manager here she says we could fill it. If the stain is dark then it would hide it. Plus you can “fake grain” with a stain and brush. Hmmm might be a solution. Or I’ll just leave it.

And thanks adam. Suffering for my art.

GS-1sf 1st build - Cocoa

Guys? Silly question. Which screws do I use to secure the bigsby? Large ones seem overkill and the small ones don’t seem secure enough....

Also I don’t have enough of the large ones either. I need 5 screws to secure the trem

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGhost View Post
    Guys? Silly question. Which screws do I use to secure the bigsby? Large ones seem overkill and the small ones don’t seem secure enough....

Also I don’t have enough of the large ones either. I need 5 screws to secure the trem

Ok I’ve found which screws I need but I’m missing one so that threw me. It’s fine. I have some the same here at work.

Now I did some measuring to find the centre point but think I must have got it way off as nothingnlooked right.

I’ll remeasure tomorrow using the string or wool technique before making some marks.

By the way never had a bigsby before - is the spring supposed to be really loose until it’s under tension?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast