Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: GS-1sf 1st build - Cocoa

https://youtu.be/OmTvD4tPG8k

Video test.. showing the test panel of paint for the top.

Gold basecoat, Gold flake, rootbeer candy (1 coat one side 2 coats the other) then about 7 coats of clear... sprayed through the wrong tip gun so its TOO thick.. but it shows the idea.

OK Heres my bigsby problem on my test fit.

https://youtu.be/gAhjiX0AV40

I found the centrepoint on the guitar and marked the bottom. this is the position of the base plate of the bigsby. Drilled and screwed the strap nut in there. Ran the two E strings. Now to me to make things look straight (and to where ive marked the position of the bigsby using the centreline on the bigs itself I have to force the unit to the left. Im sure this will put strrain not only on the bigsby but the wood its into too... Is this usual? there is a lot of play in the hinge etc.. it might be something as simple as the bridge not being totally straight too.. held in with masking tape. Im pretty sure the neck is ok and the string seems to be running fine down the neck itself.. just ,,, another lack of confidence in my ability...

thoughts anyone?

Apart from the neck (which would be a pain in the arse!!!) How fixable are alignment issue once it comes to setup..?

Yes. I’ll change that. Sorry. Obviously I can’t see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok try now. I just didn’t want them clogging up any channels or anything but didn’t think being private would be a problem.

I can see them now.

When you ran the two E strings, were they both up to correct pitch? Even if they were, they will undoubtedly have slightly different tensions which will always pull the tailpiece to one side or the other. You'd really need all the strings fitted and in tune to know the resultant overall string pull. It's unlikely ever to be a nice 50/50 balance on each side, so the two screws through the top will need to keep the tailpiece straight.

Sometimes it's easy to worry too much over these things. I'd get the tailpiece so that the strings are running parallel with the sides of the tailpiece, and mark the screw hole positions there.

Thanks Simon. You are beginning to be my voice of reason.

Hi, How I found centre and positioned the tremolo.
    With the neck in position and the bridge on it's posts I marked the centre at points down the fretboard and ran a wire down the centre of the neck (clamped at the nut). The wire ran through the centre of the bridge.
    I marked the centre of the tremolo on the roller and down the plate to the back, and then I lined this up with the wire moving the tremolo around with its hinge plate against the back of the guitar until all points were in line.
    Now installed, strings all in alignment and looking good.
    I think this is how Bigsby tell you to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    Hi, How I found centre and positioned the tremolo.
    With the neck in position and the bridge on it's posts I marked the centre at points down the fretboard and ran a wire down the centre of the neck (clamped at the nut). The wire ran through the centre of the bridge.
    I marked the centre of the tremolo on the roller and down the plate to the back, and then I lined this up with the wire moving the tremolo around with its hinge plate against the back of the guitar until all points were in line.
    Now installed, strings all in alignment and looking good.
    I think this is how Bigsby tell you to do it.
    Thanks. This is how I did the initial fitting of the tailpiece for the bigsby.

I’m sure it’s ok. But you know how it is with these kits... worrying about every little thing.

Thank you

Polishing worry.

I’m waiting for stains to arrive (crimson guitars are waaay behind apparently so been waiting on these for over a week and a half now)

I left my test panels of flake for two weeks so thought I’d give them a bit of a flat back and a polish. I wet sanded a LOT with 800 to get the peel off. It had a lot of coats of clear on. And then when it was flat (in the place I was testing) I went to 1000 then 1500 then 2000 my worry is that none of this is making it shiny again. I even got some rubbing solituon and really went at it with a cloth.... am I just not going long enough? I’m doing this by hand. I’m just worried that I won’t get the shine on the clearcoats on the actual guitar and do I leave the clearcoat shiny but probably lightly ripples rather than ruining a clearcoat by not being able to polish it out.

The guitar is not like a tele where it’s flat either!!?

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast