Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: GS-1sf 1st build - Cocoa

Ha ha. No I was serious not typo. Brain filler all the way.... I am just THAT hardcore

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sol 1..... sorry. Not mark watney am I.... erm build day 1 or it maybe 3 really. Anyway back in the office and I’ve managed to at least get the kit out and in a build place to do the dry build.

Yeah. I know I should wait to let the wood settle but I thought I’d do a scale measure now and again in a couple of weeks once it’s all settled.

I also confirmed a suspicion I had about my pickups. Before the kit arrived even I’d purchased a pair of tv Jones megatrons (nice) I knew they might be a little different in shape to the standard pickups. Yep. They are wider in length and narrower in width (eh? Did that make sense) anyway. They have gaps. I’ve already put an order in for some gold gretsch pickup surrounds. (Like hens teeth in the uk) and I’m hoping they will be the right size for the jones. If so. Winner. If not. I might just make my own. I have access to a cnc machine (shame it’s not a lazer cutter) and plastic. I’m assuming that as long as they don’t touch the body of the guitar these will be fine?

Going to measure the scale
    Length now.

I’ve also decided to keep a music diary of what I’m listening to whilst building.

It’s 7am or so whilst I was building on a Monday morning. So time to go to a recent but regularly played album by me. : beck : morning phase. A beautiful album and deep in songs and production. It’s one of becks “mellow” albums and a perfect chill out album or a Monday morning album. Sounds fantastic on vinyl and headphones. Beautiful vocal productions.

And yes. I know I’ve put the screws and springs in wrong... I had a suspicion they weren’t going to fit anyway so it’s a very rough screw fitting.

Ive also ordered a roller bridge so I'll also remeasure once this has arrived.

Last edited by BuffaloGhost; 14-01-2019 at 05:55 PM.

scale length... bang on 313mm to 12th fret and to high E bridge wound all the way forward - 316 to low E wound all the way forward. I'm taking this as a good measurement.

Lunchtimes job is to put some flakes on the gold basecoats on the test piece of wood.

Two coats or flake in on the test panels.

Flake coats done. Waiting to Harden up for a week then will flat and do Kandy coats then it’s clear coat time. Until then it’s going to be sanding time on the kit body

I have a question. I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not? Whilst starting light sanding. On the sides I noticed this on the bottom near where the join is. It’s a number of scratches and it feels like splits. It’s also a little bumpy under the touch. Like a buldge? It doesn’t feel infirm. Any ideas what to do? Would it sand out? I’m on 800 grit at the mo

Potentially a flaw in the top veneer that they have fixed, they may have noticed a bubble and then slit it to squeeze some more glue in. If it’s not moving then it should be okay but you may have to use some filler on the lines to get them out.

Your colours are pretty solid though so it shouldn’t be an issue. If some part of it moves under your finger then that may be an issue.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Potentially a flaw in the top veneer that they have fixed, they may have noticed a bubble and then slit it to squeeze some more glue in. If it’s not moving then it should be okay but you may have to use some filler on the lines to get them out.

Your colours are pretty solid though so it shouldn’t be an issue. If some part of it moves under your finger then that may be an issue.
    Thanks. I’ll have more of a check tomorrow. I think your right. It feels a bit weird is all.. I was actually going to stain the sides. But a dark colour so it might be ok.

More photos tomorrow.

I'd a thought they would have run the slits parallel with the grain to hide it better?

cheers, Mark.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast