Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Build : Springsteen Telecaster

First Build : Springsteen Telecaster

Hey all,

Got my kit yesterday! (Christmas present from my GF)
    Hoping to build a butterscotch Tele looking close to Bruce Stringsteen's.

Going to post updates here and hopefully get help and tips from everyone here.

Cheers,

Hi hitthatrowdyy! Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing how it all goes for you!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome to the forum hitthatrowdyy!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Welcome aboard! Look forward to watching your build
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Just thought I would chuck an update here.

I've been trying to not be to overwhelmed reading the build guide that PitBull have kindly put up, purchased the black pickguard to replace the stock white one, and have printed and cut out a template for the headstock (also got the old man to lend me his jigsaw for the bulk material removal haha).

Just a quick question I was hoping for a little guidance on. I got the bone nut upgrade when originally purchasing the kit, wanted to ask how others have gone replacing the stock plastic? anything I should be cautious of? or any tips for clean removal and replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by hitthatrowdyy View Post
    Just thought I would chuck an update here.

I've been trying to not be to overwhelmed reading the build guide that PitBull have kindly put up, purchased the black pickguard to replace the stock white one, and have printed and cut out a template for the headstock (also got the old man to lend me his jigsaw for the bulk material removal haha).

Just a quick question I was hoping for a little guidance on. I got the bone nut upgrade when originally purchasing the kit, wanted to ask how others have gone replacing the stock plastic? anything I should be cautious of? or any tips for clean removal and replacement?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Rowdy (may we call you Rowdy?)

First, check that the nut is glued in, if not, its safe to probably just gently pull it out with blunt nose pliers or nippers. If you don't damage it then you can compare it to the bone nut and match widths, height etc.
    If it is glued in, then I have usually proceeded as below, VERY carefully

Take some measurements to get rough idea of how close your replacement is to your existing plastic one. Take note of the string spacing if your bone version hasn't got the string slots cut.

When you've got those details, take a marker or a scriber and mar/scribe a line down the center of the existing plastic nut (across the width of the neck)
    With a fine bladed saw (A Fret saw is ideal if you have one) cut straight down that line until you are almost through the nut, but leave a small amount of material at the bottom of your cut.
    Take a small pair of nippers and use them to collapse the nut in on itself, i.e. squeeze the two sides together into the cut. this should pull the nut away from the edges of the board.
    You will need to be exceedingly careful on the Headstock side, there isn't a great deal of material on that side of the nut and if Factory has been liberal with the superglue, then you may pull out a chunk from that side. If you can prise that off the nut then you can pop it back with some superglue. With rosewood boards the chunks tend to pull clean out so they go straight back in. I've not had the same issue with maple boards though, and I've no experience with the "Blackwood" composite boards.

I hope this helps!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Hi Rowdy (may we call you Rowdy?)
    Rowdy works (or Callum)

Awesome thanks for the for the advise. I'll have to check if it is glued or not (at work and cant exactly remember off the top of my head).

Another thing I read is that depending how much glue was used you could give it some light taps from the side with like a screwdriver and hammer then slide it out sideways. Is that viable or more likely to cause damage?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitthatrowdyy View Post
    Rowdy works (or Callum)

Awesome thanks for the for the advise. I'll have to check if it is glued or not (at work and cant exactly remember off the top of my head).

Another thing I read is that depending how much glue was used you could give it some light taps from the side with like a screwdriver and hammer then slide it out sideways. Is that viable or more likely to cause damage?

Thanks
    You can also (very gently) score along the long edges of the nut where it meets the wood with a sharp fine blade, to minimise any of the wood or finish coming away or the glue taking prisoners with it. You can try lightly tapping the nut, but make sure to protect the fretboard and neck with some tape or a cloth so you don't damage it. If it doesn't come out with a gentle tap, then move onto more heavier handed techniques as FW has mentioned above.

Don't tap too heavily when going from the neck side to the headstock side. Multiple light taps only. I was getting a friend to do this on his Strat kit neck so we could fit a bone nut. I said 'gentle taps only' but each tap got heavier and then a piece of the curved wood in front of the nut shot off across the room. Luckily it was one piece and I glued it back in for him, but you don't want to do that if at all possible. So light taps from the sides, then heavier ones from each end. light taps form the sides, heavier ones from the end. Repeat as necessary until the nut starts moving, then only tap from an end.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I've been fine pulling the plastic nuts out with a pair of pliers. I grab it in the middle and twist it back and forth a bit to break the glue and they've all just popped out. Worth taking some care with the black wood fret board as it does seem to be a bit softer than rosewood from what I can gather.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast