Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Build : Springsteen Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I've been fine pulling the plastic nuts out with a pair of pliers. I grab it in the middle and twist it back and forth a bit to break the glue and they've all just popped out. Worth taking some care with the black wood fret board as it does seem to be a bit softer than rosewood from what I can gather.
    I did that initially with my Build for a Mate, but the glue had been dribbled down the headstock side of the slot on the bass side and it found a weak point and blammo. Rosewood chippy. Was not happy. Clean break so Mr CA glue to the rescue, you can't tell, but I know its there. GRRRRRRR.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

So got a chance to do a small amount of work this weekend.
    had a little accident with nut replacement and knocked it a little to had from the fret side and chipped the slopped bit of the head. fixed it up with some glue and don't think will be too bad once sanded and cleaned up.

Also spent some time with a jigsaw and significantly more time with a file shaping the head. Still nowhere near done but getting close
    https://imgur.com/5tGWRLY

I've had zero guitar building experience and little to no woodworking experience before this but am having a lot of fun so far. would love any general tips you guys have on what i have done so far.

Also thought I would include an image of the body of the guitar, I am hoping to bring out the grain of the wood so that it can be seen through the butterscotch finish.
    https://imgur.com/lMUFxk1
    because i am an idiot and left it in a room where the body got some direct sunlight, some cracks have developed where the wood that makes the body was glued. My plan is to fill it as best as possible with wood filler and sand it back, does that sound right?

Callum

Hi Rowdy,

Like you I don't have a lot of woodworking experience and I'll be a first time builder of a Telecaster. So I know exactly how you feel. Keep us all posted of your progress.

BTW, how did you end up removing the nut?

Quote Originally Posted by TZK321 View Post
    Hi Rowdy,

Like you I don't have a lot of woodworking experience and I'll be a first time builder of a Telecaster. So I know exactly how you feel. Keep us all posted of your progress.

BTW, how did you end up removing the nut?
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one haha.
    I ended up going with the method of tapping it with a wooden block and small hammer (that i found in a computer repair tool kit of all places). Gave it a couple light/slightly not light enough taps from the top and bottom, then a tap from the end and it came lose

Wanted to ask what are you guys preferred product to finish a guitar.
    Like a nitro or dingotone?
    I am hoping to achieve that glossy butterscotch finish were the grain is visible underneath it.

I've been doing a lot of research on finishing. Here's what I'm planning:
    First I should mention that my kit has a quilted maple veneer over ash.
    I'll be using black grain filler on the ash and then Tru-Oil on both as well as the neck.
    Lastly I'll apply some type of wax to the neck to keep it smooth.

It looks like you have a maple fingerboard. I'm still researching what should be done with that. Information is all over the place.
    Last edited by TZK321; 22-01-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wrong fingerboard

Nice idea! If I remember correctly Springsteen's guitar is mostly hollow under the scratch plate, as it was originally fitted with multiple pickups for recording (not by him). This makes it nice and light for the marathon gigs he usually plays (I remember seeing him in rural North Carolina years ago, he did a 45 min support for himself on his own, then came out with the band and did another 2 1/2 hours!)

8. Liked by: TZK321

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Nice idea! If I remember correctly Springsteen's guitar is mostly hollow under the scratch plate, as it was originally fitted with multiple pickups for recording (not by him). This makes it nice and light for the marathon gigs he usually plays (I remember seeing him in rural North Carolina years ago, he did a 45 min support for himself on his own, then came out with the band and did another 2 1/2 hours!)
    It is also an Esquire, and I don’t know how they change the wiring when they added the neck pickup.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    yeah correct, under the scratch plate is completely hollowed out to add the additional pickups used for the payola scandal in the early 60s. the Actual guitar is also basically waterproof because those marathon gigs would leave him and the guitar absolutely drenched in sweat. Petillo (The luthier who worked on it) once joked that it could be played under water haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    It is also an Esquire, and I don’t know how they change the wiring when they added the neck pickup.
    From what I have read its a patscaster, Tele body with an Esquire neck?

Hey Guys,

Done a tone of work over the past two weeks: Sanding, shaping, more sanding, staining, and applying the final coat.
    I have chucked up the majority of the images in an Imgur gallery https://imgur.com/a/Us0WaCS

Just have a couple of questions I wanted to ask you guys in the community.

The fretboard as delivered seems to be pretty rough. https://imgur.com/LwVsUH7
    Have you any of you guys found this on your kits? if so what was your method to smoothen it up?

Second question: who out there has used the DingoTone finishes? I decided to get their butterscotch one.
    I love the colour it as give to my guitar however I am not sure if the "Final Coat" product is going to provide the finish that I was hoping for.
    The still wet coat of my last coat of the "Final Coat" product looks really high gloss and what I was hoping to achieve. see: https://imgur.com/vESGIf9

However now it has dried and mostly cured and has lost alot of that gloss that I am just worried wont come back once I cured, buffed and polished. https://imgur.com/SYktePP

Any feedback, tips or whatever else you have to say would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Callum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2