Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: First build LP1; bridge problems

  1. #1
    Member Dpdarren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7

    First build LP1; bridge problems

    Hello everybody and Happy New Year! My wife bought me an LP1 kit for Christmas, complete with gold fittings, which I am looking forward to putting together - my first one. I have a question though; it looks like the holes for the bridge screws are slightly too large. Has anyone else come across this? Iím thinking of using some masking tape to get a snug fit. I tried to attach a photo but I keep getting an error message.

  2. #2
    Moderator Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    2,997
    Welcome along Dpdarren - photos have a limit to the number of pixels - 1500 a side from memory. If you resize the image, it should get through. There shouldn't be a size issue with the bridge posts - would be interested to see if there were.
    Brendan

  3. #3
    Overlord of Music Fretworn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Hornsby Area, Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    3,392
    Welcome DPDarren
    Current:
    AST-1FB

    Completed:
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String (to be converted to 6 string)
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

    Wishing:
    Baritone
    Scratchie 12 string
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

  4. #4
    Overlord of Music Andy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,353
    Welcome to the forum.

    LP1 kit? Are you sure, I didn't think PBG sold them anymore
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed and upgraded
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed | Co-Winner-May 2016 GOTM | Runner up GOTY 2016
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed | Runner up Feb 2017 GOTM
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed | Co-Winner - July 2017 GOTM
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1
    Current Build #12 - ATL1SB

  5. #5
    Member Dpdarren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7
    Iím not sure if itís an LP1, it is a Les Paul shape. The holes definitely over drilled, but some plumbers tape has done the job!

  6. #6
    Member Dpdarren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7
    And yes Iíve figured out how to add photos now too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D62C77D-99AE-4BA6-8A7C-47D7F5E743CD.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	29645  

  7. #7
    Overlord of Music Andy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,353
    Must have been old stock.

    the bushings for the stop tail piece should be tight, so tight in fact that I would finish the guitar body first before putting them in and when i put them in I put on a healthy dose of parrafin wax so its easier to pull them out.

    I can't tell by the photo the size of the hole. but if the bushing for the stop tail post was not snug and flapped around in there, you could either get some veneer, steam it and wrap it around the stop tail post bushing then put it in the hole size it up and if correct, glue the veneer in place.
    Alternatively you could put a piece of doweling in there and redrill.
    I prefer method 1
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed and upgraded
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed | Co-Winner-May 2016 GOTM | Runner up GOTY 2016
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed | Runner up Feb 2017 GOTM
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed | Co-Winner - July 2017 GOTM
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1
    Current Build #12 - ATL1SB

  8. #8
    Overlord of Music Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    4,761
    Plumbers tape won't keep the stop tail bushing in place, though it should be fine (if less than optimal for string vibration transfer) for the bridge as there's only really downward force on that. I used copper tape on the bushings in a friend's old LP copy I put new hardware on, and that simply pulled out of the socket under string tension. I then used strips of veneer glued to the sides of the hole, 4 small strips to start in N, S, E & W positions, holding them in place with a tape-wrapped pencil, then filled in between them with another 4 strips. easier than trying to steam and bend veneer. Ended up a bit too tight so i had to sand away at the veneer surface. Then knocked the bushings in and they certainly weren't coming out.

  9. #9
    Member Dpdarren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7
    Great feedback, thanks for the tips

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •