Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crybaby Restoration

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Crybaby Restoration

So I was digging through one of my many boxes of cables and gear recently and came across this old wah pedal I'd completely forgotten about. It was given to me like this and apparently there is some problem with the power supply. I have done a little bit of googling and it is supposed to have a 9v connector attached to the board. I have one, as per the pic, but I'm not entirely sure where I should be soldering it on the PCB. There are a few different versions of the board and I can't find a clear pic of this one.

So I guess I'm just after a bit of advice and direction. Is the above a reasonable place to start? Should I just buy another PCB? Who's a good local supplier?

I think I can see how the pot used for the wah attachment mechanically connects to the pedal, so I'll start fiddling with that and see how we go...

I also have a korg multi effects pedal that the wah doesn't work on...if this goes well I might investigate that as well.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

So funny , last few days I've been looking into modding my crybaby for true bypass, led and tone shaping. All very easy mods to do and relatively cheap <$10. I've found a good place for parts (switches, caps and resistors) is Pedal Parts Australia. They have complete crybaby boards ready to drop in to an enclosure if it ever comes to that as well. Also other genuine wah pedal parts etc.

And you may get some more info on the different circuit board revisions from stinkfoot.se along with any mods you may want to do while you've got her cracked open.

Have fun!

Don't know if this will help as mine is a different PCB, but where I have marked with a circle traces to where the positive of the battery goes. Looks like the third lug in from the edge on yours is the same connection ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1207590280.jpeg 
Views:	227 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	29454

Hey Sonic, good luck with this. I was thinking of building a wah pedal after I get through my current back log of pedal builds. They have a wah pcb on Pedal Parts Australia wedsite
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Cheers guys, further googling reveals that the battery connection is on the two outside lugs on the board connector. Again I can't see my specific board with a battery, but this shows the connections here. This ones been modded for bypass as well....

So I might try that. A replacement board is only $52 on that pedal parts site, so I can always go that way if I can't get this one working.

This thread reminds me that i need a new power supply for my Wah. And one for my Trem-N-Dous Gain. And my EQ. and a pedal board. Hey Santa.....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hah yeah, I've got a new group of people to play with so I'm trying to put together a halfway decent jamming rig.

I normally use emulators on the computer or my Korg multi effects. Which is fun, but its a lot of randomly cycling through presets to find the right sound, plus it doesn't let you switch between clean and effects easily.

I bought a Boss Metal Core pedal off facebook yesterday which is pretty awesome, so I have that and the DS-1, gives me a decent palette of classic rock to more 90's stuff distortion wise. Need a better chorus as I only have a horrible PSK pedal and possibly a Phaser and that should do for the stuff we are going to work on.

My first time as lead guitarist.. so no pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Hah yeah, I've got a new group of people to play with so I'm trying to put together a halfway decent jamming rig.

I normally use emulators on the computer or my Korg multi effects. Which is fun, but its a lot of randomly cycling through presets to find the right sound, plus it doesn't let you switch between clean and effects easily.

I bought a Boss Metal Core pedal off facebook yesterday which is pretty awesome, so I have that and the DS-1, gives me a decent palette of classic rock to more 90's stuff distortion wise. Need a better chorus as I only have a horrible PSK pedal and possibly a Phaser and that should do for the stuff we are going to work on.

My first time as lead guitarist.. so no pressure
    Nice, I need to start following songs and playing in conjunction with others. I spend a lot of playing time pointlessly noodling; a bad habit I need to break.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yeah it has been really good actually needing to specifically learn something, so when we get in the space early next year we already have a decent set to work on. Even though its only for shits and giggles, it's still a reason to pick up the guitar and practice rather than noodling and playing the same phases and riffs over and over. I've definitely fallen in a rut since my last band fell apart.

OK, so I found a 9v power supply with the headphone style jack in amongst all my bits and pieces. I definitely have power, I can get sound through the pedal. Clicking the switch activates the pot and it makes some noise as I turn it by hand (like an old dusty pot would) but there is no 'wah' effect, although the guitar still makes sound through the pedal.

I'm tossing up replacing the PCB. I am pretty sure I can score one of these pedals - working- for a little bit more at Cash Convertors, but then I don'y really learn anything.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast