Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Build Diary, RD-1

My Build Diary, RD-1

Hi everyone,

so this is my new RD-1, my first build,which I hope will be...well, playable at the very least ! I'm not aiming for "great" just yet.

I unpacked all the bits and pieces, checked and double-checked that all the parts and screws were there, and did a mock build, which turned out all right. The neck fits quite snugly into the pocket, the wood shows no trace or scratches. So far, so good !

There is, however, someting wrong with the headstock : the top two machinehead holes are misaligned by a couple of millimeters. Beside any aesthetic consideration (it's not THAT noticeable), I hope this won't have any effect on the playability or on the tuning stabilty of the guitar. Has any of you ever experienced this problem ?

Apart from that, I've started gouging away some of the body for a belly cutaway. Also, the Gibson RDs I've seen have a much more angular shape, the body edges on the pitbull kit are much more rounded. So I've started altering the upper contours on the body using a powered sander, although I'm not sure about what I'm doing. I don't really have woodworking tools at hand, so if anyone has advice for me on how to proceed, I'd be very grateful

I also want a pickguard but couldn't find any pre-cut, RD-shaped pickguards online, so I ordered a 3-ply sheet from Axetec and will have to find a way to cut it (bandsaw ? jigsaw?).
    And then...I will get started on the sanding !

That's it for now, thanks in advance for any advice. I'm frankly amazed at the level of craftsmanship displayed by some of you guys !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	29370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	29371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	29372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	29373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	29374  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Misaligned tuner holes are a known issue with these kits, but it’s normally the 6 in a row headstocks. Are you talking about the middle ones being slightly more inboard than the end ones? Because that is normal on a paddle headstock. If it’s botheri you, it’s pretty simple to glue some dowel in and re drill. They normally only need a mm or so, so any evidence is covered by the tuner and washer.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I can see what you are saying, the top two tuner holes are different distances from the edges. The mids look right as do the ones closest to the nut but the top two are definitely out.
    That’s a definite dowel and redrill job unless you want to flick it back to Adam, or forget about it if you can put up with it.
    Personally speaking, even the photo of it is giving me a tic, so I’d be cutting the plug for it as we speak. 😵😂
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 11-12-2018 at 05:21 AM. Reason: exceedingly poor grammar
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Oh yeah.. I can see it now I'm on the computer. I guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, but yeah, that'd bother me as well.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I can see what you are saying, the top two tuner holes are different distances from the edges. The mids look right as do the ones closest to the nut but the top two are definitely out.
    That’s a definite dowel and redrill job unless you want to flick it back to Adam, or forget about it if you can put up with it.
    Personally speaking, even the photo of it is giving me a tic, so I’d be cutting the plug for it as we speak. 😵😂
    To be honest, it took me a while to notice it, and that was after I removed the machineheads. Plus I'm not confident enough to re-drill the headstock (I can already imagine a potentially catastrophic mess !) so...I'll keep it like that and work on a couple of other things instead. Thanks for your advice anyway

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCab View Post
    To be honest, it took me a while to notice it, and that was after I removed the machineheads. Plus I'm not confident enough to re-drill the headstock (I can already imagine a potentially catastrophic mess !) so...I'll keep it like that and work on a couple of other things instead. Thanks for your advice anyway
    Depending on where you are there may be a better equipped forum member who may be able to help you out with it. If you can deal with it as is then all good.
    look forward to seeing how the rest of your build goes👍🏾😁
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Despite currently building my 2nd Pitbull kit, I consider myself a veteran in drilling/re-dowelling.
    It doesn't require a great deal of skill.
    A bag of 10mm dowels and some Aquadhere.
    The filing done with a coarse rasp, however the Dremel 'grinding kit' did speed up the process.

Once done you'll be asking why the hesitation.

cheers, Mark.

8. Liked by: OliSam

It's been a while since I last posted here. Having no workshop of any kind at home, working on my guitar on the dining-room table is always a bit of a pain... So this is taking me quite a long time, but then I expected it to. Ok, on the plus side, I've managed to contour the body, or the upper half at least, and I think it looks cool as is, so I'm going to leave it like that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	29972
    I've also carved the belly contour which also feels nice and smooth (though far from perfect) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belly contour.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	29973

Oh, and of course, I drew and cut a pickguard, which was harder than I expected. The shape was really not that easy to get right... It still isn't perfect, but I still have some 3-ply plastic that I can use should I decide to make another one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pickguard.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	29974

Ok, and now, some problems I've had. I haven't touched the headstock and I still don't know if I want to take the risk of re-drilling new holes for the machineheads ! However, I've noticed a couple of other issues.
    First, I sanded and oiled the back of the neck with a mix of tung oil and linseed oil, and it feels really fantastic, super smooth and comfortable.
    However, as soon as I turned my attention to the fingerboard, I noticed a couple of things. First, the wood between the nut and the first fret is badly scratched, and there is a long crack (a couple of inches). It looks bad, and I only saw it once I had started oiling the fingerboard and it had become darker. The scratches I can live with, but the crack... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard crack.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	29975

And that's not all, the OTHER end of the fretboard is also badly scratched between the 20th-22nd frets, and the wood appears to have been chipped, like there's a whole square of wood missing : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard scratches.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	347.4 KB 
ID:	29976

So, a couple of questions for you master-builders out there (you know who you are ) : do you think that crack in the wood is going to affect the playability / stability of the neck in the long run ? Aesthetically, I think it's really problematic, but is there anything that can be done about it, or should I ask PBG to send me another, less flawed, neck ?

Here are a couple more photos : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard crack2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	29977
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard scratches2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	29978

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast