Thread: Need advice for unseated frets problem

Need advice for unseated frets problem

Hi all. Haven't logged in for a while and just getting around to starting my PRS-1TS kit.

Problem: frets will not seat fully and ends sprout when trying to seat the middle. (a lot of tail chasing)
    I've seen a couple threads with other PRS kits having this problem but the final fix was not clearly posted that I could find.

Some suggestions were removal/replacement with CA; possibly re-cutting the slots deeper (bound neck btw, so doable but not the easiest).

I checked the actual fretboard with my radius gauges and determined that part of the problem is some unevenness in the radius of the rosewood, but I don't think that is the whole problem.

I'm not sure what constitutes a QA issue and what is "you get what you pay for" sort of thing. I know these are budget kits and I expect some troubleshooting, but the idea of needing to basically do refret is real downer.

Any additional advice or tricks other than pulling frets is appreciated.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I would shoot Adam an email with a clear decription of the issue /photos, his service is second to none.

Thanks Hardcore.

I reckon that will be my next step. (probably should have been my first)
    I should have mentioned in the OP that it's not just one or tow frets, it's 16 out of 22. I re-checked the FB radius this morning with fresh eyes, and whilst it's not perfect, it is perfectly acceptable. So I'm leaning more toward a possible slot depth issue.

update:
    I've emailed Adam. Awaiting his reply and will go from there...

Hi McCreed. I use a sand bag under the neck and a nylon hammer to hammer the frets in place. I do a proper fret set up once the guitar is together
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Well, problem solved!
    I got in touch with Adam and sent him some photos of the fret work. In his reply he said "great photos, shocking neck. I didn't imagine it would be this bad."
    So the short story is he's posting out a new neck on Wednesday, and I'm posting the dodgy neck back (return postage paid!) I can't praise Adam high enough for his customer service.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Hi McCreed. I use a sand bag under the neck and a nylon hammer to hammer the frets in place. I do a proper fret set up once the guitar is together
    Thanks Andy. Yes, on past projects I've been able get by with tapping with a nylon hammer also, but in this case it was like "whack-a-mole"!!!
    I'd get the end seated, but a couple taps working toward the middle, it was popped again.
    It's not that I couldn't have pulled and reset/replaced all the frets, but it would have been a lot of extra work for brand new build.
    But, all sorted and a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Well, problem solved!
    I got in touch with Adam and sent him some photos of the fret work. In his reply he said "great photos, shocking neck. I didn't imagine it would be this bad."
    So the short story is he's posting out a new neck on Wednesday, and I'm posting the dodgy neck back (return postage paid!) I can't praise Adam high enough for his customer service.

Cheers
    Yep good outcome, that fret job must have been shocking, I’ve had the odd loose fret, but never anything as bad as what you’ve described. PBG customer service wins again!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.