Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: January 2019 GOTM

Some outstanding entries this month, but Yo_wattup's Tele is insane! Even without being able to fully appreciate the pearl coat, that bevel and the contrast between solid colour, stain and natural finish are just phenomenal. Just stunning.

So the judges comments...
    But first a comment on logos from the Mod... – key reasons we encourage builders to put a logo on their build is so that its clear that we as a community don’t support rip off guitars – no one wants to buy a fake and we encourage every builder to own their guitars. However its up to you if you don’t want to. The other reason is that you've put a lot of work into building the guitar - get some ownership and recognition for yourself!

Metal Rulez 4ever's MMB-5
    Love the Punisher – and the innovation here, but this doesn’t gel for me – appreciate the effort that has gone into the build. Not sure why it’s a four string not five???
    The finish is great & the execution of the idea is inspired. It just seems a bit “too much” to me, but to each their own.
    This is an exercise in OTT appropriate details. A punisher themed bass would be cliche in black and white. The shou sugi ban coupled with the olive drab stain works for me.
    Love the punisher detail scratch plate
    I’m rather intimidated by the use of ammo, but again given the theme, its all on point. The dog tags are a nice touch and the chrome accents help break up the darker colours. There isn’t a clear shot of the fretboard or the headstock but i think i see punisher skull fret markers?
    Great example of what kit building is all about. Lots of mods and personalisation. The use of 4 strings on a 5 string kit is intriguing - I'm guessing there is reasoning there, but without a build diary its hard to know. I do also wonder about the playability with the bullets, especially the ones poking out the back! It looks like its ready to take revenge for every guitar that's had buckle rash. That aside this is very well executed, unique and certainly 'Metal'.
    Shou Sugi Ban a very cool way to make basswood look good. Complimentary staining too. That bling on the bass is cool too. I love the originality of this build. I'm not sure that I would enjoy being poked by the bullet heads on the back......especially if its slung too low. Owww!
    Amazing looking bass with all the add-ons and features, absolutely crazy good. Fantastic body colour and effect, but maybe a little too form over function for my taste.

Toto’s RCA-4
    Nice job on the stain and extras – looks the business. Love the dual output and box to split at the end. Nice job!
    I like the authentic looking pickups and bridge. The colour choice is perfect.
    A nice clean looking build, simple colour scheme very well executed.
    I like the grain highlighting, and the very tidy presentation
    Understand the viewpoint on the logo, it is an iconic design and i get the reluctance to imitate.
    I like the comfort profiling on the edges and the satin looking finish it fits the build nicely.
    Very nice interpretation of a very popular kit. Many upgrades to the hardware and very clean execution. As much as I enjoy wild custom versions of the kits, there is a lot to be said for doing straight forward finishes and a assembly with a high attention to detail. I understand the reasoning for not including a headstock logo, but it really does help to finish off the guitars and make them your own. There are lots of iconic shapes that have different interpretations made by different companies. Don't be shy about owning such a high standard of handiwork.
    The Oil wax satin finish on this is just gorgeous. This build speaks to me, its simple elegant and beautiful. I truly wish there was a build diary...but there wasn't. I was this bass.
    Excellent, clean, well finished RC. The colour really suits the Ash grain perfectly. Nice upgrades and great overall build.

JohnH’s ST-1JR
    Great adaptation to a couple of challenges and changes. Overall outcome is great!
    A near perfect finish. Would have liked the truss-rod hole to be finished cleanly as well. The pick guard is superb.
    My inner SW geek is screaming “Winner Winner!”
    These are a great little kit, and i know from the diary this has gone through a couple of iterations.
    I like the scratch plate detail and the coloured logo
    There appears to be a hint of un evenness in the finish, but this may just be a trick of the light.
    Alignment and neck finish look superb on the whole a great little package.
    Another great example of what kit building is all about. Lots of fun this one. Nicely executed theme, tidy assembly. Some of the smaller imperfections are offset by this being used to encourage a new generation of guitarists/builders. I hope this one gets a lot of use from its recipient.
    Queue appropriate "star wars" line here. Brilliant pickguard and the build is great too. Black paint is difficult to get right. Love the Vadercaster name. Great work John.
    Perfect for the budding rocker with a Sci-Fi slant, any youngster would instantly grab for it. Great image for the pickguard artwork, although to me the blue of the image is a touch too light for the black body and it clashes a little bit in the photos. But just a bit. What a great father son experience.

chrisp’s JTL-1
    Love the mods to the wiring – sounds like a killer guitar! Nice details with the finishing – you’ve done a great job.
    Beautiful, swimming pool finish. The headstock is great. Personally I would swap the gold tuners for chrome ones to match the other hardware.
    This is a unique build, a TL in a JM body
    The front looks like an odd shaped puddle of water, good enough to dive into!
    I like the the deep blue of the headstock matched into the back, both front and back look smooth and even.
    On personal taste i find the fretboard markers a bit much, but the thing is called the Sphinx so they work.
    The control cover is off the hook, a nice little embellishment that works well with the Fretboard details.
    I’m not sure about the mix of metal colours though, the gold tuners for me clash with the silvery fret images and the silver of the neck pup and the ashtray, then you have the darker control cover, its probably my only real ?? in the whole thing.
    Great use of colour and theme to create a very unique guitar that would certainly stand out in a shop. Nice details on the control plate and neck really help to tie it together. Lack of headstock logo is a bit disappointing considering the rest of the embellishments. There also appear to be a few imperfections in the finish. It might just be the pictures, but it also looks like the control plate isn't quite parallel to the bridge plate. So there are just a few very small details holding this back from being truly outstanding - I believe it’s a first build, so I'm expecting big things on the next one with everything that has been learnt and a bit more attention to the little things.
    The Sphinxcaster. Just look at that quilt. DT Bondi Blue looks fantastic. I'm very jealous of the upgrades on this build, it would sound world class. Not sure about the saddle placements? is that intonated right, the saddle screws are fully wound (or was that just for the glamour pis?) I bet you play that guitar everyday.
    Really love the look of this build, the blue of the top is just stunning. Love the headstock shape and the contrast of the two blues between the top, back and headstock face, but the mix of gold and chrome hardware detracts a little for me. Excellent upgrades for a really tasty build.

Hardcoretroubadour's EXA-4
    Lovely and classical – clean lines and nicely finished. Awesome work.
    I can imagine Mr Hill playing this. Simple, clean. Great job
    Another simple, understated build, nice even colour and some great grain highlight.
    I like the original headstock treatment and the change to a 2+2 configuration.
    The Logo is clear and appropriate for the build and adds to the build character with its minimalism.
    The carpet gave me flashbacks.
    Really nice finish, looks nice, flat and shiny
    Another very clean, almost commercial level, execution of a PB kit. Great attention to detail make this a very cohesive build. Headstock logo & TRC look like a factory signature model. Finishing appears to be a very high standard in the pics. Not as wacky and conceptual as some of the other builds but very well put together
    What a great EX Bass. Perfect amount of Coolangatta Gold just sets the black hardware just right. It looks so clean and great. I just want to play it. Good job Hardcoretroubador.
    The colour suits the body nicely, further complimented by the black hardware and cool TRC shape. A nice looking bass and a fitting homage build.

Yo_Wattup’s TLA-1
    Beautiful finish – love the attention to detail. Is there a problem with the nut? Seems a bit out of whack in the closeup of the headstock.
    A unique approach, executed to near perfection. A stand out T-style guitar.
    This one is a jaw dropper, in a shop, this is leaving with me, shut up and take my money.
    The stark black of the pups, the pick guard and the cover plate float on that icy white body, the bevels add some drama to what is effectively a plank.
    Those bevels could have so easily have looked naff, but the symmetry and the uniformity of the profile is testament to the work that would have gone in to getting them right.
    Flip side, some very nice grain popping work highlights a tasty 2 piece body, the painstaking work to get the Maple neck to match has to be applauded.
    The careful ergo rounding of the back contours adds more red to a unit that is most definitely not your average Tele.
    Only detracting point is i would have liked to have seen a logo 1/2 point off for that.
    Where do you start with this one? Beautiful finish, fantastic work on the bevel mod. Really brings the TL shape into the realm of 'modern' looking guitars. Almost superstratish in style. Fantastic attention to detail and assembly. It's hard to find any faults. Does look like the nut needs to be glued in place in one of the head stock shots- its hanging out the low e side slightly. The only real negative I have is that lack of logo on the heads stock. Apart from that this definitely looks like it belongs in a shop and would be snapped up pretty quickly.
    The back of this tele is drop dead gorgeous. 20 coasts have done it well mate. The front comes into its own category though. I bet that Ghost pearl looks fantastic in the light. Sorry to say but unfortunately the front look a little plain compared to the back.
    I love the look of this. The contrast between the almost liquid gloss walnut back, sides and neck with the bevelled white top and headstock face. Stunning. The more natural look of the maple fretboard plus the black hardware just finishes it perfectly. My kind of modern Tele.

Old Tooth Hopkins’ TL-TH1
    Nice use of the kit and nicely finished. You’ve done well!
    Real good burst finish. There are a few finish issues around the edge unfortunately.
    This has got old world Tele writ large on it.
    I like the burst and the grain popping out through the honey in the middle.
    The use of Pup rings to showcase the grain was a great idea.
    For a first up build, throwing a bigsby on was gutsy but i think it suits the whole build. really like that laser etched logo on the HS. I wonder if its possible to get that done and then epoxy or resin fill it for different colour effects.
    Seems as though there might be some slight orange peel/undulation in the finish?
    From totally modernised to very traditional. Classic style done just right. Burst looks good and finishing appears to be a pretty high standard. Assembly is also very good and I'm enjoying the laser cut headstock logo. Another guitar that is hard to find fault with. If anything perhaps a few more coats of clear on the body and a good cut back to get rid of some of the orange peel would elevate this from very good hobby build to something closer to a commercial level guitar.
    Great job on the tele burst. Great headstock name too. Love the bird. Its still slightly rough in the photos, A little bit more care on the finish would bring it out man. Them buckers are going to sing!
    Fantastic vintage looking finish, it really suits the Thinline style with the bare no-pickguard look and Bigsby. Nice touch with the laser engraved headstock, detailed but subtle, and works well with the overall look. A really appealing build, well done.

The runner up is Toto with their RCA-4 - congratulations!

And the winner - Congratulations goes to Yo_Wattup for his TLA-1! Stunner!

Congratulations guys!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Well done everyone, some really wonderful work going in to these. Congrats to Yo_wattup and Toto, another tough field this month.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Once again some startlingly good builds, congrats to all

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Congrats to all entrants. Yo's effort really knocked it out of the park this month. Toto's build is a worthy runner up as well.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Well done everyone! Both builds are amazing, but Yo's is particularly great - really well deserved
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast