Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AGB-30 First Build

AGB-30 First Build

I plan on starting my AGB-30 build this evening. This will be my first instrument build. I can't actually play bass but I figure that isn't a good reason not to build one. I've been abusing ukuleles for a couple years and I figure a Bass has four strings too so how hard could it be ! Actually I owned a Yamaha 504 for a couple of weeks and it was very hard. It also felt like I was hugging an anvil and it made my elbow ache so I returned it and started looking for a short scale bass.

The kit was very well packaged and I've very pleased with the way they tried to match the grain of the two pieces of the body. I really don't like the look of the head stock and wanted to change it but yesterday I realized that the AGB-30 is based on the Epiphone/Gibson EB-0/EB-3 so I'm just going to leave it as it is.

During the mock build I found that the holes for the threaded inserts for the bridge are too large. Also the surround for the front pickup is interfering with the seating of the neck but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

The fanciest thing I plan on doing for the build is bit more contouring to make it more comfortable and using some black dye for black/bright finish. I would like to use tru-oil for the finish so I'll have to test to see how it reacts to the alchohol based dye (Solar-Lux NGR Dye Stain).

Here's a link to my gallery. I'll try to figure out how to get the photos to post inline later.
    https://1drv.ms/a/s!AnXWCJ4NsjaiioQedzY8Z-tTeuQYGQ

-Hugh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	29160
    The initial dyeing.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	29161
    dyeing the front of the neck pocket was a mistake but easily sanded off

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	29162
    After sanding with 120, 220, and 320 I started applying spray on satin varnish. Using a rub on oil would of just smeared the dye everywehere.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	29163
    After 4 coats of varnish I decided I could do a better job of cleaning up the edges of the dye. Particularly in the upper hook area which is at the bottom left of the image (does this have a name?). So I stopped spraying and will do more sanding.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	29164
    The back.

So I cleaned up the edges and started varnishing again. Unfortunately after the 5th coat the varnish started turning white!

Luckily the hardware store is close so I bought a lot more sandpaper. While I was sanding off all the old varnish and dye I decided I liked the look of the having the edges stained and the rest of the body bright.

So after sanding off all the old dye and varnish I stained the edges with ebony min-wax stain. I've since applied about 6 coats of Danish Oil and sanded it down to 2000 grit. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the stain on the edges but it's getting closer. I've also ordered some mahogany laminate so the headstock will match the body.

fun-fun-fun!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    The natural top and black sides look pretty good really!

That milkyness in the varnish is mostly likely due to either too much humidity when applying or too cold a temperature. Given you are in the states I'm going with too cold. If you notice it happening while the finish is still wet a gentle application with a hair dryer can get it out.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks Sonic. I think you'r right about the varnish being too cold. I had started varnishing early in the afternoon and should have quit after the sun went down and the temperature dropped.

That does look nice! I like the black edges too

Thanks Andy.

My mahogany veneer came in.

Took two tries to get it on correctly but in the end ...

I think it has potential.

While everything is very smooth now I would like to apply something on top of the of the danish oil. I'm thinking either war or shelac. Would there be any issues with applying eirther of these finishes over danish oil?

thanks,
    Hugh
    Last edited by Roam; 16-12-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Looks great; I really like the way the stain has ended up
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

I’m not sure you should apply war over the oil?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’m not sure you should apply war over the oil?
    This could get political.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast