Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge105 - IB-5 Fretless

Looks like they're only 3 wire but I wasn't planning on splitting anyway.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gauge105 View Post
    Wow, you'd even go with the kit pickups over the Laces! I didn't order any of the hardware with my kit so I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research before I put my money down.

Much appreciated Sonic.
    Yes I would, to be clear this is on a 6 string not a bass, the PBG kit humbuckers are not too shabby - I've no idea about the stock pickups in your kit. The Alumitone pickups are interesting - the construction is totally different to regular wound ones and they look cool (which is why I initially gave them a go) but they aren't for me.

This is my mate having a crack at the SG. It is going through a pedal board in to a VOX AC30, but the distortion is just gain, there are no fuzz pedals or anything. His review was that it was fun to mess around with and interesting to hear, but he wasn't a huge fan of the sound either. He enjoyed the Shoegazer a lot more and it's all stock pickups.

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Cheers Sonic, which model of pickups are in that guitar? Lace have a pretty big range for electric guitars.

I found this guy had a pretty good review of the bassbars. He suggests that they're more mid range than low.
    https://youtu.be/ZHuN5ypmBNE

This guy is just rockin it Claypool style with bassbars. Perfect example of tone I'd love to get however he doesn't really go into the lower range.
    https://youtu.be/BVI2B6iMkvs

Also, it looks like you can do split coil with alumitones!
    https://youtu.be/xZa94epxN4Q

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    They are just the black 3.4k humbuckers. Mine are wired for coil split as well, it does change the sound, but whether it improves it is debatable. You might get exactly what you are after, it’s all so subjective. The best thing would be to play a guitar with them fitted yourself, but that’s not always possible. This is just my 2 cents- it’s not gospel
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks for the input Sonic, that's exactly why I'm here. I'll have to spend a weekend doing the rounds in perth music stores to see if there are any basses with alumitones... I don't like my chances though.

For what it is worth...

I built my IB-5 using Bartolini pickups, https://www.bestbassgear.com/bartoli...bc-pickups.htm I wired these to switch between series humbuck, parallel humbuck and single coil.

I also installed Gotoh tuners: https://www.realparts.com.au/tuning-...3-2-black.html

For the bridge, I went with a Schaller. The back of the bridge sits just a touch above the body on account of the body contour. One day, I may route a bit of a recess for the bridge, but I am not aware of any overt tone issues and there is heaps of sustain, so I'm not in a rush to do anything drastic.

Paul

Cheers Paul, I may go with the same tuners you used.

Ok so after waiting 6 months... I finally got my order a couple of weeks ago!!

Doesn't appear to be any issues with the neck fitting. I bought it without the stock hardware because I don't want this to be a rush job.

I can't say that the grain pattern on the face of the body is inspiring me, though I am quite happy with the fretboard grain, it has some very nice light and dark layering.

Came with the standard nasty looking plastic nut, that'll be one of the first things to change! I plan on carving one from Australian Buloke like I did for another bass I own.

Soooo many ideas running though my mind right now, just show restraint.......

That neck looks great. My ib5 body has more of a whorl around the pots but the other side is straight grain. Impressed that you're carving your own nut

Thanks Marty, it's actually not that hard. This is a photo of the nut I caused for my Cort 5 string fretless. I used a pen block that I got online, I figured with buloke being so strong it was ideal for use as a nut... turns out I was right.

I'm also going to attempt to make the bridge from either a block of buloke or lace sheoak. I'm hoping to achieve something similar to the Adamovic bass bridges.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast