Thread: Color matching binding

Color matching binding

I want to get some binding that matches my ES4-B...but I can't figure out what color it is. I am guessing ivory? Cream is darker. White is lighter. I don't think I've tried ivory... Has anyone been able to match it?

I ended up trying all three colours back when I had a go at binding the headstock on my ES-3.
    Post #39 is where I mention that cream matches the fingerboard binding.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ight=vintage-y

If you already have some cream binding, give it a scrape on the tall side with a sharp blade or sand it enough to take the gloss off and you will notice the shade changes a bit. The binding on the kits have already been sanded at the factory.
    Can't remember what you used for a topcoat on your build but that may make the raw binding strip appear a different colour to your finished product.
    Even when I went to get paint to cover the cracks the stain had got into on the FS build, it was cream not ivory.
    Hope that is some help.

Grant

Just took a bit of sand paper to some cream binding I had in the toolbox... Well I'll be darned! A little sanding/scraping and it's pretty close the exactly the right color. Thanks!