Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Ok, looks like I’m making a tailpiece. Good old Dad came over and helped me build a work bench out of an old jarrah pergola I pulled down years ago. Still got some waste jarrah (if there really is such a thing). Hello jarrah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 21.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	29588  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Ok, looks like I’m making a tailpiece. Good old Dad came over and helped me build a work bench out of an old jarrah pergola I pulled down years ago. Still got some waste jarrah (if there really is such a thing). Hello jarrah!
    Enjoy sharpening your tools! I had an attempt at a jarrah sg body in high school, I spent more time sharpening plane blades and the like than I did building it.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Enjoy sharpening your tools! I had an attempt at a jarrah sg body in high school, I spent more time sharpening plane blades and the like than I did building it.
    Two nouns that don’t belong together in a sentence, “Jarrah” and “Hand saw”.

Two nouns that don’t belong together in a sentence, “Jarrah” and “Hand saw”.
    I hacked my body blank out of recycled jarrah wharf stringers. I had to sharpen two chainsaw chains, a table saw blade and a bandsaw blade. I’m not going to quantify how many times I sharpened plane blades and carving chisels, it was a lot. If you attacked it with a handsaw and you made any progress with it, you’ve got my respect
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I hacked my body blank out of recycled jarrah wharf stringers. I had to sharpen two chainsaw chains, a table saw blade and a bandsaw blade. I’m not going to quantify how many times I sharpened plane blades and carving chisels, it was a lot. If you attacked it with a handsaw and you made any progress with it, you’ve got my respect
    I could get about 3/4 of the way through with a hand held circular saw and finished off with the hand saw. Took me about seven attempts to get something I might be able to work with.

I could get about 3/4 of the way through with a hand held circular saw and finished off with the hand saw. Took me about seven attempts to get something I might be able to work with.
    💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽👍🏾👏🏾
    FrankenLab

Watched a YouTube video of a guy talking about violin tailpieces. Apparently the ideal position for the string end of the tailpiece from the bridge is 1/6th the distance of the nut to the bridge. I did not know that. He didn’t go into much depth as to the reason apart for saying it deadens the string if the tailpiece is too close to the bridge. Just measured it on the ES-5V, seems to follow the rule.

You know he’s serious when pulls out the graph paper!

Tailpiece idea pending on how I solve the hinge problem...and before anybody else says it, I’ll be using wood, not graph paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 22.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	750.8 KB 
ID:	29589  

Hinge? Just nail it to the top.

You could always cut down a flat metal hinged tail piece (not the rod type that you've already got), so you could glue + screw the metal piece underneath the wood.

But as you are going for a tailpiece where the strings drop in from the top, then you don't really need a hinge as such (as you won't need to lift the tailpiece to help slot the strings through the holes), just a metal bracket bent to an appropriate angle.

In fact, looking around for a suitable example I came across this, which might give you some ideas: http://www.victorbakerguitars.com/bl...tar-tailpiece/

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast