Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HB-4s Bass build

HB-4s Bass build

Hello everyone, I ordered a HB-4s and had it shipped to my deployed site over seas, talk about a guitar that's been around the world. Anyway I finally got the Bass and I had a question, what wood is the bridge made out of? I'm no botanist but im taking a stab at rosewood. If someone knows for sure I would really like to know. I was thinking about using an oil finish on the bridge and a water based polyurethane on the body. I forgot to take pics of me opening the kit but I'll upload what pics I did remember to take. Also this is my first time building a guitar, kit or otherwise.

Welcome Zanzeroth. The bridge is almost certainly not rosewood, as rosewood has been removed from all the kits due to the CITES restrictions that came in last year. The fingerboard sure are made out of a man-made composite, perhaps the bridge is made out of a piece of the wood that these fingerboards get created from.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

3. Liked by: zanzeroth

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Welcome Zanzeroth. The bridge is almost certainly not rosewood, as rosewood has been removed from all the kits due to the CITES restrictions that came in last year. The fingerboard sure are made out of a man-made composite, perhaps the bridge is made out of a piece of the wood that these fingerboards get created from.
    I know its most likely not real rose wood. Its not as dark as the fret board though. Hmm just had a thought, maybe mahogany?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Heres a photo of my second test fit. Ive drilled the holes for the pickups and control plate. Bridge and neck are just set on. I wanted to see how it would looked assembled. No sanding has been done.

Here is after i glued the bridge on. I had to redo the outside holes for the tail piece. I initially drilled them a little to big and as a result the threads didn't grab and suck the edges of the tail piece to the body. Nothing wood glue and toothpicks couldn't fix.

Do you know if this is a floating bridge?

I have a semi acoustic which the bridge is being held down by the strings.

The bridge will determine the intonation so I’m not entirely sure if gluing it down first thing is a good idea.

It also makes wholesale sanding on the top a bit harder.
    Current Build:

Semi-Hollow Telecaster w/ 5 way switch (build diary)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tooth Hopkins View Post
    Do you know if this is a floating bridge?

I have a semi acoustic which the bridge is being held down by the strings.

The bridge will determine the intonation so I’m not entirely sure if gluing it down first thing is a good idea.

It also makes wholesale sanding on the top a bit harder.
    It is a floating bridge, i do have a chrome one coming with adjustable saddles. I measured the bridge before gluing it on so it should be pretty close for the intonation. As for the sanding its all by hand anyway and the bridge needs a little sanding as well.

I didn't glue the bridge on my ES-5V (same style) but I can confirm that it takes oil nicely and will darken in doing so. So if you're looking to match it to the fretboard colour that is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    I didn't glue the bridge on my ES-5V (same style) but I can confirm that it takes oil nicely and will darken in doing so. So if you're looking to match it to the fretboard colour that is an option.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to be storing it in a public place and didn't want the bridge to move on me or constantly have to check the intonation. Its the reason i ordered a chrome bridge with adjustable saddles, just incase i messed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzeroth View Post
    Its the reason i ordered a chrome bridge with adjustable saddles, just incase i messed it up.

[Gratuitous extra text inserted to reach arbitrary forum limit.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast