Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HB-4s Bass build

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post

[Gratuitous extra text inserted to reach arbitrary forum limit.]
    You can always highlight the extra text and change it to white so it doesn't show.

So i have a question about the control plate. Because pf the curvature of the top there are gaps in the center. I was wondering if i removed the pots and pcb and hit the plate gingerly with a heat gun, would it make it pliable enough to form it to the body?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

So after screwing the control plate on and letting it sit its conformed to the body. Its done, ill post images when i get a chance. The intonation is good. My only comment is i feel i could have done the finish a little better but with my limited supplies i did the best i could. If i can get this thing back home ill probably sand it down and re finish it

Here are the finished photos. I did replace the tuning heads with 1/2 inch tuners. One of the ones that came with the kit was missing a tooth and I didn't catch it till it was finished. I also didn't notice that I bought inline 4 tuners instead of 2x2. I will say though that it stays intune better and has a lot less buzz against the frets. I'm probably going to change the pickups out though. I think I have them slightly off center so the volume isn't there and I would rather get new pickups if I'm gonna take the bass apart to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzeroth View Post
    Here are the finished photos. I did replace the tuning heads with 1/2 inch tuners. One of the ones that came with the kit was missing a tooth and I didn't catch it till it was finished. I also didn't notice that I bought inline 4 tuners instead of 2x2. I will say though that it stays intune better and has a lot less buzz against the frets. I'm probably going to change the pickups out though. I think I have them slightly off center so the volume isn't there and I would rather get new pickups if I'm gonna take the bass apart to fix it.

That odd tuner arrangement actually looks right to me, when taking into account the head shape. I quite like it.
    Nice job man, especially if you’ve done it with limited tools etc on a deployment site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

6. Liked by: Tadhg, zanzeroth

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    That odd tuner arrangement actually looks right to me, when taking into account the head shape. I quite like it.
    Nice job man, especially if you’ve done it with limited tools etc on a deployment site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The tuner arrangement is because i screwed up and got an inline configuration and i wasn't going to wait a month for new ones to come in.

If they are good quality tuners it shouldn’t matter too much. On cheaper tuners you could have tuning stability issues if the tuners are in back to front.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I actually kind of like the tuners in that arrangement.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

10. Liked by: Tadhg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2