Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Building an ES-5V

Well, it might not seem I have progressed very far, although I've been working on the box as much as I can. The electrics are done and ready to be fitted but the main problem has been the Crimson Guitar finishing oil, a tung oil based produuct used on my last build and one that proved very satisfactoury then. The first couple of coats went on this one but subsequent layers, bought fresh, have taken ages to cure. They go tacky within half an hour and the excess can be removed, but remain tender for days afterwards. I've had to refinish the neck twice because, after more than a week, the finish could not take a mild rubbing with 1200 wet and dry without crumbling into a grey, sticky mess. Contacted Crimson Guitars but they say the product is fine, and is of the same batch as my last bottle. Anyone else had problems with this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150925 small.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	28097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150919 small.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	28098

Subsequent to this, for the last week the body has been a sticky mess with no sign of the finish curing. The last coat was ultra thin and applied to what had taken almost as long to dry - maybe I should have waited even longer? So now do I just hang on in the hope the stuff will go off? I'd rather avoid stripping the thing down as that would inevitable mean disturbing the finish (a water based stain), and doubt that adding anything over the top will improve matters. Advice welcomed!

I'd wait. Have a fan blowing across the body, this really helps any solvents evaporate.

4. Liked by: Borrel

Patience, young Obi-Wan. I'd be leaving it for two to three weeks before doing anything else. Drying times are always dependent on ambient temperature, humidity, air flow, etc,etc,etc. The newer bottle will probably have more solvent in it than the old bottle too, possibly adding more drying time. Also, the U.K. is not known to be the warmest place on the earth. Unlike here, where it dries before it leaves the bottle.

I've use tung oil and Tru Oil before, and even after it has dried, I have left it alone for another couple of weeks to make sure it has totally cured. The great thing with these oils is that you can add later coats at anytime. It's a beautiful finish on there. Just wait for a while and see what happens.

The joy of making a guitar is...making a guitar, the frustration of making a guitar is waiting to make a guitar. What do you guys say over there? "Keep calm and turn your amp up to 11"

6. Liked by: Borrel

Really grateful for this advice, guys.

Well the beast is finally together. In the end I copped out on the finish - the Crimson Guitar Finishing Oil was just never going to cure (left it five weeks and no change). Eventually used a minimal amount of white spirit and very cautiously gave a light rub, the finish dried instantly and buffed up well. Continued with several coast of Tru Oil that cured within an hour (although I waited a day each time to recoat just to be sure). Electics went in fine and work well although there is quite a gap between the strings and the pick up - I get a reasonable responce but wonder if it is worth raising the unit slightly. Action is good; I found the right height using the adjustable bridge supplied then switched it for a micro adjustable to set the intonation. This is mounted on a solid base from another, higher, unit which I trimmed down so it needed no adjustment screws. Feel the lack of these, and the fact that the bridge is now set firm against the front can only help in getting the best possible sound.
    And on that front the instrument has exceeded all my expectations. Started with a set of standard Martin lights but quickly changed to mediums (13-56) The extra weight brings out the bass and a richer treble while not making much of a difference to the playing (I might even be able to lower the action a bit though it is already pretty slick). Photos will follow when i get the chance but am really very pleased with the outcome and have been using this as my guitar of choice for some time.

Good work Borrel! Look forward to the pics
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

These are seriously great kits. So glad I got to build one. Can wait to see finished pics of yours.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3