Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gibson 'style' shapes?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Bankruptcy doesn't mean there aren't lawyers around trying to protect the brand. They would be trying to maintain what remains of the brand image to keep extracting $'s from it. But yes, to me it seems like bad PR by a company that can least afford it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Gibson are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which means they are still trading but currently protected from creditors whilst they restructure debts and sell off their liabilities. They will probably be cutting back on lawyers costs for brand protection at the moment, but once they come out the other side, I'm sure they'll be back on it.

Since my earlier post, I saw a review of a Heritage Guitars LP ES style guitar. Even Heritage Guitars - built in Gibson's old factory, by former Gibson employees after Gibson moved to Nashville - changed their shape to avoid suit. Their lower bout is 1/2" larger in diameter.

Crazy. The Fender Stratocaster is far and away the most popular design to copy.
    Yet Fender don't seem to be embroiled in legalese to anywhere near the same extent.
    (and I'll say it again...it all seems to emanate from the 'Les Paul' department alone)

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Crazy. The Fender Stratocaster is far and away the most popular design to copy.
    Yet Fender don't seem to be embroiled in legalese to anywhere near the same extent.
    (and I'll say it again...it all seems to emanate from the 'Les Paul' department alone)

cheers, Mark.
    That’s because Fender forgot to try and trademark the shape of the Tele and Strat until about 50 years after the they were released at which time the trademark was thrown out because there were too many copies on the market already. As long as the headstock is different and the logo is clearly different the body can be the same. I think they did trademark the offset bodies though, which is why you don’t find exact copies of those.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Yeah, they trademarked the headstock for sure. Was a couple of prelawsuit jacksons with fender style headstocks. And yeah, the offset shape makes sense. Would explain why there's very few of them from others, and so many from fender

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3