Quick mock up. Happy with the body wear, still a little more to go, but the finish is nice and thin and looks more like a Nitro finish than an enamel - it is rustoleum.
I scraped the paint with a scalpel on the edges, then sanded bits with 240 dry, then 600 then 1200 wet over the whole body to thin the finish out. Finally a polish with auto cutting compound on the blue bits. Still going to rub some dirt into the timber or use some stain to darken the exposed timber.
Happy too with the stain on the neck, it looks the right colour for aged maple. I haven't started aging the neck, that's going to take a while. I'll be adding the scraped bits under the string on the face of the neck as well as the finish worn off of the back.
The scratch plate I hit with 600 then 2000 wet and dry, wet, to take the plastic shine off of it. I'll finish it with some cutting compound and I think it will look correct for whatever they were made from back in the day.
Have ordered some tone rider classic Tele pickups from Adam, and am adding a pull switch on the tone control to put the pickups in series so I can go from country to rock with a pull of a knob! I prefer this idea to the 4 way switch as it acts as a bypass in any position to get a more raunchy sound.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	28035