Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Box Guitar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cigar Box Guitar

Hey everyone.

So im still new here and idk if this is the right place to post this, but i was wondering if i could get some input on making a cigar box guitar with a spare LP neck i had laying around. Anyone done something like it before? Im thinking ill have to extend the set neck portion of it with some pine i have laying around. I also want it to be just a throw around semi acoustic thing, no electronics at this stage. Im not sure, any advice is good advice.

Cheers, Bushy.

Probably your best bet would be to make a Center block around the neck tenon and assemble your "cigar box" around that.
    Im thinking Dedman did something along these lines a while back. Might have to dig to find it though.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Probably your best bet would be to make a Center block around the neck tenon and assemble your "cigar box" around that.
    Im thinking Dedman did something along these lines a while back. Might have to dig to find it though.
    yup I did, http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ghlight=diddly. I got it out after forgetting about it for about 4 months, was still in perfect tune....amazed.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Wokkaboy is your man - may need a PM to him as I think he's in and out of the forum. He's built a couple of CBG's though not sure if he's used a prebuilt neck before though.
    B

CBGs normally have a much thinner neck than a 6-string and between two to four strings, though three is more typical. The neck normally extends all the way to the end of the body. So with an LP neck, you'd really need to trim it down considerably and add an extension to the tenon (if it has one and isn't a bolt-on type). With the trussrod, especially if you don't cut it down considerably, its likely to be very neck heavy

It will probably be easiest to get a 50 x 25 mm/2"x 1" length, and at least 914mm/36" long, of something like maple (or any availble solid hardwood), and make your own neck. No truss rod, no separate fingerboard, keep it simple. Three strings (typically GBD for open G), the top 3 plain strings on a guitar. Knock some frets in yourself and away you go. Lots of guides on the web.

Thanks for the advice everyone, been under the pump but ive got time on this weekend to have a start.

Okay, so ive worked a fair bit on it. Chiselled off the tenon, modified a 2x4 piece of pine to fit a random bridge that i converted from floating trem to hardtail. Scale length 24 3/4 inches. Its pretty rough, but its quite balanced right now and with the cedar cigar box coming itll make it nice and heavy at the rear end. Ive just done a rough bolt on and wood glue with a slight angle on the neck in the pocket. Im kinda troubled as to how i upload photos? Prototype CBG coming along well. Next step is to either buy string ferrules or make a system that goes through and the ball end of the strings clip on.

https://imgur.com/a/dfVz9Ke Couldnt upload here so yknow. Leaving the glue for 24hours and then im going to do some shaping to clean it up.

Hi Mr BMan, looking good, watching with interest!

regards
    Guvna

Cheers man, ive got some plans what to improve for the next one already ahah, you can get some decently priced necks on ebay for 30 bucks so ill be playing around with that. Alot to experiment with, i really want to put a bigsby on the next. Also some better machined timber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast