Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Specs on the FS-1 Bridge for Upgrading?

Specs on the FS-1 Bridge for Upgrading?

Hey, have a FS-1 (Starcaster) kit I'm to the point where I'm ready to finally glue on the next and put it together.

Thinking about upgrading the TOM style bridge to something that might have a little more precision with the saddle movement, but am concerned about getting the right size. What's the post spacing on TOM supposed to be?

When I use my (cheap) calipers I'm getting 72.70mm or 2.86inch 2 55/64inch. Not seeing those numbers match up with any of the Tune-o-matics on StewMac.

Been working on this thing for awhile (doing Tru Oil) and getting really itchy to put it together... thought about dropping the posts in and using this, just upgrading the bridge later, but fear finding a worthwhile bridge who's posts don't match the thimbles.

Here's a shot of a recent mockup I did.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Is the 72.70mm centre to centre or inner edge to inner edge?

I'm fairly sure a normal tune-o-matic fits with around 74mm post spacing, but maybe someone else knows for sure.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

some epiphones have 72.5 spacing. Pretty hard to find.
    I've found that by enlarging the stud holes by .5mm either side ( hardly noticeable under the small flange on the insert ) and elongating the holes in the bridge by a bee's dick, you can make the larger ones fit. For some reason the kits recently have been arriving with the narrower bridges in both the wrap overs and the typical TOM types. I've found bridges varying from 73.5 to 74.5 calling them selves "standard"
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Is the 72.70mm centre to centre or inner edge to inner edge?

I'm fairly sure a normal tune-o-matic fits with around 74mm post spacing, but maybe someone else knows for sure.
    Center to center of the holes in the bridge itself... which of course makes it difficult to judge if accurate since I'm measuring against space.

OK... just did something partially smart .

Put it on the posts and placed it on the guitar (thimbles are resting in the holes)... using the lines from the posts to give me a point to measure off.

2 7/8 is what it looks to be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7932-1280x960.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	26757

oh.. BTW... hello all from NE Florida

First kit, though I've done a couple partsmasters using MJTele Jazzmaster bodies.

The post above was my first post.

Glad to be here.

Hi. I'd suggest you look for a TonePros T3BT bridge. It's a Nashville style bridge, which I prefer over the ABR type due to the wider saddle adjustment range.

Though I've yet to actually fit one to any of my kits, I've bought several for use on them, and as far as I can measure, they are 2 7/8" centre spacing and the holes line up with an ABR-style bridge from a PBG kit. Also, the post hole size is the same, though I'd suggest using the TonePros. It also appears to have the same centres as a real Gibson ABR-1 bridge that I took off a 335 (though that has the smaller post hole diameter).

The TonePro posts are slightly lose in the post holes, which allows for slight inaccuracies in the drilling of the body holes in position and angle, but the locking grub screws then hold everything firm. In fact the holes are just very slightly wider than on the kit bridge.

Here's my T3BT alongside a gold PBG bridge.

Name:	TP bridge and ABR.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	809.7 KB 
ID:	26758

Gotoh apparently make the TonePros bridge, and the otherwise identical Gotoh bridge without the locking grub screws is cheaper, but I like the locking feature, so I'm happy to pay the extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hi. I'd suggest you look for a TonePros T3BT bridge. It's a Nashville style bridge, which I prefer over the ABR type due to the wider saddle adjustment range.

Though I've yet to actually fit one to any of my kits, I've bought several for use on them, and as far as I can measure, they are 2 7/8" centre spacing and the holes line up with an ABR-style bridge from a PBG kit. Also, the post hole size is the same, though I'd suggest using the TonePros. It also appears to have the same centres as a real Gibson ABR-1 bridge that I took off a 335 (though that has the smaller post hole diameter).

The TonePro posts are slightly lose in the post holes, which allows for slight inaccuracies in the drilling of the body holes in position and angle, but the locking grub screws then hold everything firm. In fact the holes are just very slightly wider than on the kit bridge.

Here's my T3BT alongside a gold PBG bridge.

Name:	TP bridge and ABR.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	809.7 KB 
ID:	26758
    Thanks Simon, yeah definitely close. Might have to grab one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast