Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Fender neck on a Gibson set neck body

I made some progress today. I used a router "box" template that I made from some 1/4" plywood and some scraps of 1/2" or 5/8" wood. First I made an inch thick block that was about 6" long and almost as wide as the neck pocket. I screwed it to the block that I laminated into the neck pocket.

The block created a relatively stable 6"x2" platform that I could clamp the box template to. (A box template like this works best with a router that has a circular bass. The outside edges of the box serve as the guide for the router. I have found these work well if what you need is a rectangular shape).

I did a little testing and was surprised how stable this was with just a couple of clamps to hold it into place. My router is pretty heavy and with 2HP has a ton of torque. The template was actually quite rigid however, and held nicely. Since the template was secured to a block which was screwed to the floor of the neck pocket the rout replicated the slope of the neck pocket exactly.

Some version of a this kind of box template may be very useful to others who need to cut a neck pocket or pickup cavity on a curved surface like an ES or LP top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	28644

Name:	side.jpg 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	28645

I put in one of the pickup rings to see how everything would line up... Starting to take shape ;-)

Name:	front.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	28646

I took a pick of the F/G hybrid next to my completed ESB-4 for comparison...

Name:	comparison.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	28647

I lose about one fret access at the high end compared to the ESB-4. But the bridge (really mid) pickup lines up pretty much exactly with where a p-bass pickup would be. I'll need to fill the bridge holes and move the bridge back about 3/4". Got a bit more work to do on the neck pocket before that. Will need to add some laminate to the sides of the neck pocket. The neck fits tighly near the pickup, but is slightly tapered, so not quite as tightly at the heel. And will need to do something about how ugly the heel has become.

Name:	joint.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	28648

I have an idea using some binding... but open to suggestions...
    Last edited by fender3x; Today at 02:17 AM.

This is looking fantastic.
    You could make a feature behind the neck on the block a piece of nice veneer or some shell particularly if you increase the depth of the block a touch to get an insert flush with the cavity edge.
    Have covered some router marks I couldn't get rid of by covering with some Pau.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...?t=4637&page=2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5