Thread: Blemishes in Finish?

Blemishes in Finish?

Hi. I recently acquired a LP type guitar that has something in the finish. I'm not sure if it's the woodgrain or some tyoe of blemish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6167881-9837-4B12-A150-8EDA68F3C81A_zpse9gy3jt3.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	26130

Name:	422C4F08-AF8E-49F3-A348-453C29523EA5_zpsq7jfdqg5.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	26131

Name:	AC2DF769-02DC-419C-AA18-3A0A8ED2103C_zpscrrce4jp.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	26132

I would like to not have to sand a refinish the entire thing so I could I go about making this look pretty?

Overlord of Music
    Probably witness lines from sanding through clear coats that have cured a little too much in between coats. They will most probably disappear with more clear.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Also possibly low areas where the finish hasn't been sanded so is still glossy. As Pablo said, more clear coats should fix things.

Thanks guys. What steps should I take to get this looking nice again? Anymore sanding? Polishing? Any of that before clear coat?

Wetting the surface should give an idea what it will look like with the clear coat on. It looks like it's been sanded pretty well, though it's hard to tell from photos. Don't polish it, but if you can see shiny dips in the finish when holding the surface up at a shallow angle to the light, you might want to sand some more until they're gone. Or you can put that off until you've done the clear coats. You'll just have to put enough coats on to give sufficient thickness to sand the clear coat back flat before polishing.

If you don't know how thick the colour coat is, then that's the safest option.

Thanks Simon! For the clear coat should it be a spray or is there a wipe on that would work?

I’m wiping on poly varnish diluted 50/50 with white spirit and kitchen paper. Going well so far