Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Floyd Rose FRX surface-mount trem for my Gibson USA Les Paul Studio.

New Floyd Rose FRX surface-mount trem for my Gibson USA Les Paul Studio.

Hey Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a new Chrome Floyd Rose FRX trem for my Gibson USA Les Paul Studio guitar, after returning home from uni this afternoon, I checked my mailbox to see if there were any letters inside, anyway, when I opened my mailbox, I found a parcel card inside it, so it's looking like the Floyd Rose FRX trem has finally arrived, I just need to wait till tomorrow to go and pick it up, if it turns out to be what I think it is, I'll make sure I post some un-boxing pics for those interested.

Stay tuned.......

Overlord of Music
    Jeez, how much did that set you back, Doc? Those suckers are freakin expensive, and don't you already have multiple guitars with floyds?
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    Jeez, how much did that set you back, Doc? Those suckers are freakin expensive, and don't you already have multiple guitars with floyds?

All up, and including postage, it cost me Au$328.85, mainly because I went with the chrome one which is the least expensive one Stewmac stock.

I've got two other Floyd Rose equipped guitars, the reason why I decided to install a Floyd Rose FRX on my LP studio is quite simple, I'd just gotten tired of trying to keep the guitar in tune, tried all the usual recommended fixes and they didn't work, so I decided to try a different tactic to fix the problem by tackling the root-cause which is basically friction due to the amount of downward-force exerted by the string as it passes through the nut-slots, and this is because of the back-angle of the headstock, the strings splaying-out on their way to the tuners, is only exasperating the problem, the locking-nut of the Floyd rose FRX trem system eliminates the friction-issues by stopping the strings from slipping out of tune as the string-tensions either side of the nut equalize.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 24-04-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Update:

Sorry guys, the new Floyd Rose FRX trem turned out to be a failure, even though it's a double-locking system, I can't get it to stay in tune like Floyd Rose trems are supposed to do.

Doc I always find with floyds that the strings take longer to settle even after stretching (and when stretching unlike a fixed bridge the the spring mech gives) I usually tune a floyd over a few days without the locknuts in (so like a trad guitarsetup) and stretch everyday. I wouldnt give up on it yet.
    Tony

Well my FRX Trem seems to have at least a couple of issues with it, firstly the low E-String has a bit of sitar-buzz to it when played open, I know that it's not the bone nut or the action being a bit too low cause the sitar-buzzing goes away if I pull-up on the trem bar, secondly the system seems to have trouble returning to it's neutral position with all strings randomly going sharp or flat, with the low E-string being the worst offender, with the strings locked, the overall tuning-stability isn't anywhere what I expected it to be for a double-locking system, I've tried stretching strings on a Floyd Rose trem till one literally broke, and it made no difference at all.

And there are a few FRX Trem owners experiencing the same issues too.

What was really the last straw for me was the shaft of one of the tone controls on the LP Studio breaking.

So, I don't know whether I should even bother with guitars anymore, given the amount of trouble they've been giving me, I've been into playing guitars for over 20 years now, in that time, I've spent more time on trying to get the guitars to stay in tune than learning how to play them, or learning how to play songs.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 26-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.

These things are sent to try us Doc.
    I had a look for negative reviews on the FRX and couldnt really find any on forums other than cost and a little tricky to initially setup. (there could be forums i am not looking at). It is a little more finicky to setup than say a 1000 series due to the individual spring balancing system. Theres a couple of install and setup videos on youtube that may assist. I always find sometimes that it is best to step away for a day or two (on some of my builds months) to let the frustration disapate before having another crack.
    Tony

Hi Doc
    link to a discussion in my lespaul.com about frx and a small excerpt in regards rubber feet at front of trem unit and further down the thread in regards spring tension

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ins...studio.325147/

"The part that the installation video didn't mention is how important it is to get the height of the rubber feet at the front exactly, perfectly right. If they're not down far enough, the trem flutter and tuning stability go away, since the front of the frame keeps moving slightly. Too tight, and the base frame is canted up, making the playing position wonky. Those feet slowly compress into shape slightly over the course of a couple of weeks, so I've spent some time doing slight adjustments."
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by vh2580 View Post
    Hi Doc
    link to a discussion in my lespaul.com about frx and a small excerpt in regards rubber feet at front of trem unit and further down the thread in regards spring tension

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ins...studio.325147/

"The part that the installation video didn't mention is how important it is to get the height of the rubber feet at the front exactly, perfectly right. If they're not down far enough, the trem flutter and tuning stability go away, since the front of the frame keeps moving slightly. Too tight, and the base frame is canted up, making the playing position wonky. Those feet slowly compress into shape slightly over the course of a couple of weeks, so I've spent some time doing slight adjustments."

Cheers, that looks interesting so I'll have a good read of it, I've decided not to give up on it, just going to take some time out from it so I can order some replacement pots for the LP studio guitar.

I'm having a bit of trouble following what the guy is saying with regards to the rubber feet and their height being set exactly right, it's a bit ambiguous, and not being helped much cause the pics he posted are un-viewable.

I think I know what I did wrong with regards to setting up the FRX Trem, on one page of that forum thread, there are some photos of a BC Rich Mockingbird with a gold FRX installed on it, the front of the body has been carved like the front of the body on my LP Studio, there's also a side-view of how the FRX is set up, going to use that as a guide and see if that improves things a bit.

Okay, I've managed to get it performing a little better but it's still not 100% staying in tune like it's supposed to, it's still having trouble returning to it's neutral position so it goes flat when dive-bombing, and sharp when pulling-up.

I've checked the knife-edge pivots and they don't look worn or mis-shapen.

Here's a pic of the broken tone control pot, notice how one half of the splines has broken off from the shaft?, I've managed to find some replacement pots on the Realtone Music website and have ordered them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Tone Pot_resized.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	26166
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 26-04-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Update:

The four new replacement pots turned up in the post earlier this afternoon so I've been working on getting them installed and soldered to the circuit-board in the LP Studio, the CTS pots I ordered proved to be practically a drop-in fit, they all feel really nice and smooth in operation with no grittyness, anyway, just gave the LP Studio a quick play test and all the electronics worked perfectly first time, so I'm happy now, the knobs fit perfectly on the pot shafts too.

Looking at it on the outside you can't even tell that the pots have been replaced, I'll post a pic of the guitar soon.

Stay tuned.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast