Thread: Seriously thinking of getting a Boss Katana KTN100 amp this year.

Seriously thinking of getting a Boss Katana KTN100 amp this year.

Hey Everyone,

A few days ago I got to try out a Boss Katana KTN100 amp that they had at the music department at uni, what a really cool sounding amp it was, I was pretty impressed by the tones I got out of it, very tube amp like even though it is actually a Digital Modeling amp, it is even lighter than my Marshall MA100C amp, so, I'm going to see if my local Top End sounds music shop can order one in for me later on this year.

There's one feature that the amp has which I actually like, it's a power switch that switches the amp's output-power from 0.5 Watts, to 50 Watts, and 100 watts, seeing as I live in a neighborhood where lots of people live, that's a cool feature since I can set the amp to bedroom level and still get cranked amp sounds, there's also a USB port that you can use to connect the amp to a computer so that you can edit the amp's channels and FX with the editor software, or install updates.

https://www.boss.info/au/products/katana-100/

They get plenty of lovin' in NZ among some fairly serious players... heard nothing bad about them, eh!

Agree. I love them.
    It was first on my list when I was looking around to upgrade a few months ago.
    That is till I stumbled on my ac30vr. It was second hand. Really well kept and they wanted to swap down to a smaller amp so off went my old black star id20 plus $300 cash and in cane the ac30vr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been eyeing off A Marshall Code 50, the Blackstar is also in consideration. All comes down to what i can get past the Bride!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

It's quite a lot of fun when you have a modeling amp hooked up to a PC via USB... a click of a mouse and the whole amp and all effects transforms into an entirely different sounding beast ...

Had the choice ant my local store between the Katana 50, the Fender option or the VOX VT40X.... All 3 were much the same price so ended up going the VOX path as the power level is controlled by a knob instead of a switch. It has 40W on a 10" speaker in a bass reflex cabinet but that's still plenty more than enough for noodling late at night in the rec room while the better half and company watches TV in the lounge. One disappointment is that the VOX uses a power pack whereas the Katana and the Fender option have mains power leads straight in... but it's for noodling so that matters little...

Marcel, I beheaded my Vox VTX20, I have it sitting on the desk next to the PC now and mostly use it through headphones at night, however plugged into a decent 12 inch speaker cab it sounds SO much better than it did in its original format.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

I have put an external speaker jack on my 20W Fender Mustang I, sounds massive through my 4x10 quad box

Quad box is wired for 8 ohms and the jack in the Mustang isolates the internal 8 ohm speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Marcel, I beheaded my Vox VTX20, I have it sitting on the desk next to the PC now and mostly use it through headphones at night, however plugged into a decent 12 inch speaker cab it sounds SO much better than it did in its original format.
    Every guitar into any amp and then into any 12" sounds way better.. It's almost like the electric guitar and the 12" speaker were simply designed for each other from the very begining....lol... Even at low volumes I find it unbelievable how good a Blues Junior IV with the Celestion A type sounds when compared to other amp combos with smaller diameter speakers.

But when noodling late at night the 10" in the VT40X is way fine enough for me... at times like that it is similar to when using headphones, all you want is to be able hear it and the actual ultimate 'tone' of it is way less important.

If you had a look at the frequency response of a 12 inch Celestion speaker, you'd find that it is far from flat, there are some peaks and troughs in the response curve.