Thread: Which Grit?

Which Grit?

Hello,

I am a first time builder and have been watching videos all week before beginning on my EX-5 Bass kit. I’ve got sanding sealer, a bunch of cans of gloss black nitro, nitro clearcoat and a variety of sandpaper.

Question #1 - How much of the edge does one take off an Explorer type body? I will look at some Explorers to get an idea. Is there a guide for this?

Question #2 - I will sand the imperfections off with low grit to higher grit fine sandpaper. On some of the videos, you’re supposed to stop so the next coat of paint will have something to “grab” onto. From bare wood to the first coat of sanding sealer, which grit do I stop? 220?

Question #3 - which grit do I stop for the first coat of paint? , 2nd coat, etc. etc. (of course, I realize on the last coat, you go all the way to polishing).

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!
    1. That's pretty much up to you. Just knock the sharp edge off or completely round it over is up to you.
    2.Personally between coats I use 400 Wet&Dry paper mostly.
    3. Again 400.
    There is detailed painting instructions in the manual here : https://www.pitbullguitars.com/instruction-manual/
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

3. Liked by: Joe3334

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    1. That's pretty much up to you. Just knock the sharp edge off or completely round it over is up to you.
    2.Personally between coats I use 400 Wet&Dry paper mostly.
    3. Again 400.
    There is detailed painting instructions in the manual here : https://www.pitbullguitars.com/instruction-manual/
    Thanks for the info. I am guilty of doing what most guys do when assembling something....not reading the manual, lol!

I downloaded it...now I just need to READ it !

5. Liked by: Andyxlh