Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew's ES-5V first (ish) build

So, pots have arrived, along with an orange cap, so I can start on the wiring, once I've made some corrections:

Original pot on the right, new one on the left. Slight misunderstanding on a) what a mini pot was (I assumed the kit ones were standard not mini), and b) the website describing the length of the shaft as the threaded bit, and me assuming it was the entire length including the knurled top.
    Ho hum.
    Also in view, cardboard template for the wiring - which I hope to get around to this weekend.

Oh no. I’m assuming the pots shaft on the left is too long and we need to stick with mini pots. How was the left pot described? (For purely selfish motivation). I think my guitar will cost an extra $100 in mistakes. By the way, if you choose to order a pick guard bracket make sure you get the large arch top size (another one of my mistakes). I glued my neck into my body and found clamping it looks to of pushed it in tighter leaving it 11mm above the body rather than the 15mm I previously reported. Did you have the same experience?

Yep, I'm going to have to knock up a couple of spacers for sure. It was described as a long-shaft but had a 19mm length quoted. Further (post sale) reading of the description does indeed say '19mm threaded' so my bad. The width of the pot is fine to go through the pick up hole but I have had to widen the pot holes, which has not gone without incident unfortunately. I'm hoping it won't be too obvious when it's finished but it's vexing for sure.
    I've made my own bracket so I think I should be ok there (still not convinced I'm going to fit it but I'm warming to the concept).
    I haven't set the neck yet. Still got another couple of weeks of oiling to go I think. I don't have a lot of space to work on the guitar so I'm doing as much as I can before gluing them.

Today is hopefully going to be about getting the electrics sorted (almost wrote shorted there!) assuming I can get a little help from the experts here...
    There doesn't seem to be a wiring diagram for a single p90 set-up on the pitbull site or here so a little googling has let me to this diagram:

I've found a couple more that confirm this but also a couple that look a little different, can anyone confirm this is the way forward?
    Cheers
    Drew

Yep, that'll work. The tone is wired 'vintage' style on the 'out' of the volume pot, so there may be some interaction between vol and tone. It's probably how I'd wire it.

Modern wiring would have the capacitor linked to the 'in' of the volume, so in the above it diagram would be to the bottom lug of the volume pot rather than the middle. Less interaction between the pots but may lose some highs (hence the addition of treble bleed caps in some wiring).

There are other options with how things can be configured, best to try one like the above and see if you're happy with the sound. Then, if needed, you can make tweaks towards the sound you're looking for
    Scott.

Thanks Weirdbits. I shall get off my hungover arse and get on with it.

Not a mock build, but here's a little pic of how she's shaping up so far:

Oh yes! Looking good blinddrew.

Very nice.

A bijou pickguardette no less.

I know you've made it small to avoid the f-hole, but is it going to cover the area where your hand goes? It's rarely the pick that makes any marks on the body, but normally your fingernails (especially with long playing-hand nails like most guitarists have)

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast