Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew's ES-5V first (ish) build

And we're done!
    Front:

Back:

Headstock:

Things I'm happy with:
    The way that the scratchplate curves in two dimensions to match the body:

And the way the horizontal streaks on the truss rod cover are mimiced on the scratchplate.
    And the overall shininess of the finish:

Things I'm not so happy with:
    The knobs ended up sitting a bit higher than I'd have liked:

This side of the neck join is a little messy:

This side had a bit of the veneer break off almost as soon as I took it out of the box. I tried to fill it with some pine slivers but didn't do a great job:

But aside from that, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll pop a demo link up soon and a list of "stuff I wish I'd done differently" in case anyone else fancies a go at the kit.

Ok, here's a really rough video of it: https://youtu.be/fA-H3o-k90I
    Just recorded on the phone microphone so not particularly flattering but fairly realistic. The last segment is unplugged.

Now here's the benefit-of-hindsight bit...

REGRETS AND ADVICES
    Having now completed my first proper build, here are a few things I've learned along the way, mostly off the back of mistakes... Some of these are specific to this model, some will apply more generally.

1. Fretboard. This was a biggie. This is one of the new blackwood tech boards. Prior to doing any oiling I taped up the neck with normal masking tape. Removing this took some big old chunks out of the fingerboard. So don't do this. If you need to tape it up, treat it first; wax appears to be a good bet.
    2. Amount of oil needed. Now I have made a few mistakes along the way that have required re-sanding and working again, but I got through a 3oz bottle of sealer and then an 8oz bottle of oil and most of a 3oz bottle. It's probably had between 30 and 50 coats in different places.
    3. Amount of sandpaper needed. Buy as much as you think you need. Then buy more of the low-grit stuff. And probably a bit more for luck.
    4. Right size pots. This kit came with mini-pots, I replaced them with full size ones because I'm a muppet and didn't read this description properly. No a big issue, but meant making some spacers and drilling out the existing holes.
    5. Wiring diagram. The one I found on the web was missing a ground line back between the tone and volume pots. Fortunately Simon spotted this. So feel free to use the diagram but remember the extra wire.
    6. Logo. I should have applied this earlier. I used the laser-printer-to-tape approach but didn't apply it until about 30 coats of oil were on. Had I done so after 10 instead I think I would have ended with a smoother finish over the logo.
    7. Should have glued the neck earlier. I left the gluing until I'd pretty much finished the finishing, I should have accepted the extra difficulty and glued at about 20 coats to make the joins smoother. It's not a heavy guitar so moving it around once glued isn't that tricky - as long as you've got space to swing a cat.
    8. And glue into the socket not on the heel. I'm hoping this isn't going to come back and bite me. There's loads of gluing surface on these kits, but if you apply the glue to the heel, it gets scraped off as you fit it. If you apply the glue to socket it gets squeezed into any cracks and holes before exuding from the joint.

And that's about it. I'll probably drop off these forums for a bit until I start on the next project (a bit of a rescue/rebuild), but I just want to say a massive thank to everyone who has helped out with my questions and general nervousness along way. The Troll says 'cheers'.

Oh yes, and a final apology if anyone looks at all the photos and books a holiday in the north of England assuming it's always sunny from March to August!

You've done a great job with the kit, looks fantastic. And yes, I wish I'd known that about the new fretboards too.

I get a ‘this video is unavailable ‘ message when I click your glue tube link. I think the Troll looks good, so called ‘mistakes’ and all.

That is some lovely work Drew. Really well turned out guitar, i note your regrets section but i really think you may be being a bit hard on yourself with respect to the actual build stuff. It is a wonderful looking piece of work, well done!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

6. Liked by: VonScott

Video should work now, I've just set it to public.

Weird, I thought I'd popped another post on earlier this morning. Ho hum. Anyway, it read, approximately something like this:

I am really happy with how it's turned out, but there are always going to be some challenges with stuff like this - and that's part of the process. Otherwise we'd just be building Lego.

p.s. nothing wrong with Lego of course.

Video upload is working and it sounds like a guitar! I’m always jealous of anyone who can sing better than me ...which is everyone. Thanks for the video blinddrew, it’s always good to see the finished product in action.

Thanks DarkMark - you must be getting there on your build now?

I remember you saying you were a bit over the varnishing and polishing stage. I now know what you mean. Layering on coats and sanding them off doesn’t feel overly rewarding. I’m about half way through that stage and it’s slow going with family and cold winter weather. Having seen The Troll today I’m feeling keen to keep it ticking along. Any plans to build another guitar? I’ve got a custom ES-3 on the way, which was my original purchase but the factory made a stuff up. I figured I’d already purchased half the things I needed and ES-5 was the closest stock kit to what I wanted. Fingers crossed the factory gets the ES-3 right this time. I’ve always told myself, “Be a guitar player, not a guitar collector.” But I’ve had fun doing this. All the best to you if you decide to drop off the seen, it’s been fun having an ES-5 brother on the other side of our Earth.

Edit: by the way, what is the other word and meaning under ‘Troll’ on your headstock decal?
    Last edited by DarkMark; 15-07-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast