Thread: Floyd rose is crooked?

Floyd rose is crooked?

So I spent most of last night hammering in threaded inserts for screws and tremolo posts and I decided to test fit the Gotoh locking trem I purchased off eBay a few months ago. Upon test fitting I discovered that the locking trem is crooked? See picture. (Ignore the pencil mark, it doesn't represent the center line)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4680.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	25682

Is the locking trem actually crooked or is the routing of the cavity crooked? If the locking trem really is crooked, will this be a problem that is significant enough to affect tuning, intonation, string spacing, etc? I really don't know how to proceed. I'm going to investigate further and hopefully when I come back to the forum later today someone has offered a potential solution.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I haven't done one of these but that doesn't seem right. Can we see some more pics from a few different angles?

On tunematic style bridges its normal for it to be crooked to give a bit more scope for intonation on the bass strings. I've just looked for a few images online for these and that doesn't seem like its necessary for this style. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly.

EDIT:

actually just found a couple similar to yours so maybe it is normal....

Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 30-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

It's difficult to say from that photo. Are the post at the same height and is the FR baseplate level? Are the knife edges sitting on the same part of the posts?

If so it could be that one of the post hole positions is slightly out or the trem cavity or both. As far as I can tell, the FR should be set perpendicular to the strings. But the angle of yours appears to be so slight that there shouldn't be any operational issues. You'll intonate with the FT sitting flush, so that's not an issue. When you operate the trem you aren't worried about intonation anyway.