Thread: KH-1 fret slot not flush

[SOLVED] KH-1 fret slot not flush

The zero or null fret of my headless KH-1 neck does not seem to be inserted properly in the neck. Please look at the picture. I can fit five sheets of paper (from the string envelopes) between the fret and the fretboard. The fret seems to be inserted at an angle and is hovering above the fretboard.

Please advise.
    cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nullfret.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	25679  
    Last edited by Bullmastiff; 26-11-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It's not unusual to have to tap the frets into place with a mallet to get them seated before levelling.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thank you for your response.
    I understand what you are saying but:
    * As you can see on the picture the fret went in at an angle. I actually is flush at the top side but not at the bottom side.
    Hammering would probably (in my guesstimation) only bend or dent it.
    * Furthermore this is the zero fret (basically a part of the nut). I think it should be higher than the other frets.
    Hammering this fret will probably create allot of fret buzz. I don't think it should be level with the other frets.

Cheers

No, it should be the same height as the other frets. It's supposed to act like any other fret does. Can you take a couple of other photos, say one showing the top of the fretboard angled sown a bit, and a similar one without the paper in the way? It looks a bit like the nut slot hasn't been cut deep enough from the current picture, though that's not particularly sharp or detailed so it's hard to be sure.

It may require a new neck, but a couple more photos would help confirm that.
    should confirm that

Thank you for your response.
    I thought the zero fret was higher for most guitars, just as a standard nut is higher than the frets, but I could be wrong.

I checked the current state of height with a fretrocker: and at the low E side it is level with the other frets; at the high E side it's definitely higher than the other frets. I don't think tapping will do any good because it is not properly slotted into the fretboard.

Hope these pictures are better.
    Please let me know if more information is required

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nopaper.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	346.3 KB 
ID:	25687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	25688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nullfret.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	427.7 KB 
ID:	25689  

Those are great. Definitely looks like a poorly cut slot and the fret tang has bent under pressure. Unless you are experienced in replacing frets and want to re-cut the slot and fret it yourself, then you definitely require a replacement neck. The headstock assembly also looks to be sitting a bit high. I'd expect some slight downward angle on the string behind the fret as well, to stop it buzzing like a sitar.

Thanks for the help...
    The neck has been replaced.