Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: cork sniffers resonator project

Quote Originally Posted by cork sniffer View Post
    Two problems show up today prompting two questions.

I've found the wafer thin bottom of the sound hole has warped (been sitting in a hot room), now the cone doesn't sit correctly, it's resting at two places on bottom.
    Given the very thin nature of the material and the cavity between the warped bottom and the ply back of guitar body, is there any reason why I shouldn't use a Stanley Knife and cut the bottom out? This won't weaken the body at all but will make the air volume greater under the cone. Possibly this may give the electric guitar a "slight" acoustic advantage?

Attachment 25728

The second issue, I assume I'll have to drill a hole through the spider to allow the piezo wire to pass through?
    When the piezo sits in the bridge recess I think the wire would have to be bent to an unacceptable level. A hole would allow a less strained cable on it's way to the control cavity.

Attachment 25729
    I've actually just done this very thing with mine, for a similar reason. My concern was aberrant vibration of the wafer thin wood after i had modded things, so i have scored and gradually cut through to leave a void between the main body section and the rear ply top.

I have similar concerns about the Rod Piezo sitting funny. Not quite sure what to do about that just yet.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I've actually just done this very thing with mine, for a similar reason. My concern was aberrant vibration of the wafer thin wood after i had modded things, so i have scored and gradually cut through to leave a void between the main body section and the rear ply top.

I have similar concerns about the Rod Piezo sitting funny. Not quite sure what to do about that just yet.
    Glad we are thinking similarly, with that reassurance I'll open the bottom up to the void.

Re the piezo, from what I've seen online the timber bridge supplied is too thin. I get the idea it should be a close fit into the spider, mine flops about. I think I'll make one that fits more snugly and after a little more consideration drill a hole through the spider to get a relaxed track for the wire.

Bottom cut out from inner body, all good!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_153249.1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	25755

I'm lost with the pre-wired pots. I made a sketch of what they supplied, can anybody tell me how to connect the mini-humbucker and peizo?
    I understand two options are available,
    1, use wiring supplied then out to an acoustic pedal. If somebody can fill in the gaps on my drawing to do this I'd be grateful.
    2, find a SMALL acoustic pre-amp and fit on-board. Preferred option but without one at hand no point asking about wiring.

Name:	SCAN0294.1.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	25756

Name:	20180404_151742.1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	25757

Hi CS, I’ve been trawling through t’Interwebs looking for resources on this. I found some interesting stuff here: http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/ph...ams-schematics

which outlines some basics, and does include one reference to wiring in a pre amp. I’ve been looking for some alternatives on the on board, but so far coming up empty on a standard unit that satisfies my idea to edge mount it. I’ve got a couple of options to consider that might be modifiable to do what I want.
    FrankenLab

Hi CS, I’ve been trawling through t’Interwebs looking for resources on this. I found some interesting stuff here: http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/ph...ams-schematics

which outlines some basics, and does include one reference to wiring in a pre amp. I’ve been looking for some alternatives on the on board, but so far coming up empty on a standard unit that satisfies my idea to edge mount it. I’ve got a couple of options to consider that might be modifiable to do what I want.
    Thanks, that link looks like it covers the basic problem BUT please keep me updated re the "on board" explorations.
    I've reached out to a few people both here and in the States for ideas and will happily pass on anything that looks good.

A well respected US contact has upgraded my drawing ...

Name:	SCAN0295.1.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	25778

He assures me this WITHOUT a pre-amp will work well, two volume pots to blend peizo and mini humbucker. He said being a resonator and not a smooth sounding high quality acoustic the lack of pre-amp is fine.
    If a small affordable pre-amp turns up before I wire it I'll fit one (and can retro fit later) but for now I'll set the neck and work with the attached plan in mind.

Rocks in my head, haven't even set the neck on the resonator yet and just ordered this for my wife who is a 12 string junkie.

Name:	ScreenHunter_1529 Apr. 06 19.12.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	25785

Quote Originally Posted by cork sniffer View Post
    Rocks in my head, haven't even set the neck on the resonator yet and just ordered this for my wife who is a 12 string junkie.

Name:	ScreenHunter_1529 Apr. 06 19.12.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	25785
    Have a look at Marcel’s thread, he is having some issues with his. That said, I am totally jealous of your wife’s impending kit!

that wiring diagram looks doable, I’m likely to combine that with the preamp idea and see how we go.
    FrankenLab

Have a look at Marcel’s thread, he is having some issues with his. That said, I am totally jealous of your wife’s impending kit!

that wiring diagram looks doable, I’m likely to combine that with the preamp idea and see how we go.
    Thanks for the heads up re Marcel's Tele, the one my wife chose has a "spalted maple veneer" finish so will be keeping my fingers crossed after seeing the bad reaction to moisture on Marcels. My wife chose it for two reasons, 12 string is her thing but the BIG one this time was the finish, if it has to be painted she'd be supper disappointed, like possible end to our 47 year marriage ;-)

Please keep me updated on any advancement with your preamp hunt. I can change direction if parts are found. I can retro fit later if parts are found.

Yeah no probs CS, I have a Fishman unit inbound that I am going to attempt to FrankenHack in somehow. Will document thoroughly in my thread.
    Adam also responded on my email summary, he is taking the feedback to the kit producer for review.
    FrankenLab

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast