Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Made a start!

It's obviously missing the tone control, but that's easy enough to add in.

Nice colour combo! I like these guitars and don't have one.........!

Hi Johnny..that looks really good and oil finish will give the body a lovely silky look. I love the Jarrah on the sides, the colour is amazing like satin! Great job

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrotten View Post
    Spent last weekend sanding & sanding. Turned out it still wasn't enough!
    This weekend I started adding some colour, the pics are early on, it's looking better now. I used UBeaut water based stain for the front & back & Feast Watson jarrah for the sides & neck. The water based dye is very forgiving but it does raise the grain a bit. I found it wasn't a good idea to follow the instructions to wet the surface first, it pulled the grain too much. It worked much better to add the dye to a dry surface in sparing amounts & really work it in.
    I was a bit disappointed when I first added some colour to the neck, the 2 different types of wood either side of the skarfe joint absorbed dye at wildly differing rates making the joint really obvious. I always intended going really dark so after a few more coats it doesn't look so bad now.

I'll leave the dye to dry for a few days now before glueing the neck to the body. I'm thinking of using tung oil for the final finish, i've used it on some cigar box project & liked it. Has anyone else used it?

Hi Juanitasanch,
    It's true confession time! The colour was meant to be jarrah, I went to the big green shed and picked a bottle from the jarrah shelf, took it home & slapped on the guitar & after a couple of days noticed that I had actually bought a colour called Brown Japan. Probably a fortuitous mistake as jarrah would have been too red & I wouldn't have got the same contrast. Thanks for the kind remarks.

Thanks Andyxlh, a hollow body jazz guitar had been on my list for a few years & I had been scouring Cash Convertors for a second hand one for some time. I'd never dreamed of going down this road and just happened to go to a guitar swap meet where Adam was selling a few kits. I think i'm hooked now & already trying to decide on the next kit, I quite fancy something with lipstick pickups, similar to a Danelectro. Not sure if these are available in kit form.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's obviously missing the tone control, but that's easy enough to add in.
    Hi Simon Looks like a PRail and a switch will cost almost as much as the original kit. I think i'll finish the build without the electrics and see how it sets up & plays. If it's good I can justify the PRail

That's reasonable. With the fully hollow body and pickup hole, it's a lot easier getting the electrical bits inside than if you had to feed them all through the F-hole.

getting there

2 weeks later and about 15 coats of Tru Oil on the body, less on the neck. Rubbed it back with 000 steel wool & polished with gun stock wax. I'm now playing with the setup before I decide about upgrading the pup. Action is too high at the moment, i've obviously got a lot more to learning to do but fingers crossed i've not stuffed up yet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180408_111524.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	25815  

Just about complete! Just waiting on some nut files. I'm quite pleased with the result and providing the nut files achieve what i'm hoping for I will probably take Simon's advice & upgrade to a PRail to give the switch something to do!
    There was such a wealth of tips & advice on the forum without which i'm sure I would have stuffed up so thanks to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180415_104842-2-2.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	26024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180415_104913-4.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	26025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180415_104815-2-2.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	790.1 KB 
ID:	26026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180415_104827-1-2.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	774.4 KB 
ID:	26027  

Well done, that looks really fantastic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2