Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Set Neck on Custom V - possible factory mistake??

Hiya Griffo,

First up I’d make sure you have identified your Center line in the body and get the neck and you tail piece aligned to that. This willl also give you a reference datum to align the Tune O matic to and check your string spacing to the fret board edges.

What you should probably do is put the neck in place, use a clamp to hold it (use some scrap to protect the back of the body and the fretboard) then measure where your TOM should sit. Remember that the low E side will sit 1/16th to 1/8th inch further back.
    StewMac’s fret position calculator can assist with this: http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.
    You just enter the scale length, your vee should be 24.75 inches, and the calculator will give you the bridge distance at the bottom, below the fret distance table.
    You can also measure from the front of the nut, to the Center of the 12 fret and then double it to give you the rough position of the. Bridge. You just have to then off set that 1/8th inch on the low E side to allow for you intonation adjustment on the heavier gauge strings.

Take as much time as necessary with this as it is a critical step, post pics and ask as many questions as you need. The only stupid question is the one you have but don’t ask.

Above all enjoy the experience!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks for the guidance, guys! It's going to take me a few weeks to get all of my hardware etc. together, but I'll start building in earnest in early April hopefully, along with a build diary on here.

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2