Thread: How hard is it to do the kits?

How hard is it to do the kits?

Hi folks. I'm a newb--been playing acoustic up til now, was thinking of getting an electric and this looks like a fun way to do it. I'm no luthier by any means, but OTOH I am an electronics geek and no stranger to a soldering iron in my hand.

So basically, anyone tackle one of these in a similar position? I thought it might be a nice, inexpensive way to get an electric while learning the thing inside & out, or am I just going to bite off more than I can chew? Thoughts?

Hi Justkelly and welcome!
    It depends on the choice of kit. The standard ST style kits are simple construction and it comes down to how complicated you want to go with your finishing. There’s not a lot of wood working to do, just some simple checks on alignment and some screw holes to mount the neck, the scratchplate and the bridge (depending on the style of kit you get).
    On some of the Telecaster style kits you may need to open out pickup routs or cavities.
    The set neck kits (ES styles, PRS styles etc) are a bit more of a challenge.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable tackling and what sort of facilities and tooling you have at your disposal.
    Some of the guys make do with basic hand tools and a couple of clamps, others have more extensive workshops set up to do stuff.
    There is a how to manual on the PBG website which gives you a rundown on tools and methodology.

It’s a great process, and a really satisfying one, so I’d recommend picking a simple kit and working through step by step. Start a build diary, post photos and questions and the forum can usually help out with any issues.

Above all enjoy the experience!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Cool. I was looking at a ST type, actually--probably just give it a nice wood stain and a few clear coats, nothing too fancy. I have access to a wood shop and a lot of knowledgeable people there . I was just worried how much you had to know about musical instruments specifically. Anyway, I'll check out the manual. Thanks for the tips.

The critical part, in terms of musical knowledge is setting up the scale length between the nut and the bridge, and there is some good information on this in the manual and lots of good advice from the guys on the forum you just have to ask.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome aboard. With a little research and patience, building a kit is pretty fun and simple but, by God, it's addictive! Alignment checks and measuring are the most technically challenging stages. Colouring and finishing are probably the most exciting stages. You will probably love the electronics side of things. Playing your own hand finished, custom made, just how you wanted it guitar.....priceless. Good luck and ask lots of questions. We are all here to help.

I understand you're comfortable around a soldering iron, but as a general rule - complexity ranges from:

straightforward -
    bolt on necks - marginally easier to play around with as you can undo the screws and add shims (not often required), etc.
    solid / slab / chambered body with no binding / veneer - sanding is pretty straightforward and nothing to be ultra careful about.

slightly more care required -
    binding (need to be careful with coarse grain sandpaper and stains)

more complex -
    glue on necks - more fiddly at the end, once they're glued, more tricky to get apart - so you want to get it right first time
    veneer tops - thin so need to be careful with sanding
    some hollowbodies - getting the wiring in can be fiddly

That said - from a woodworking point of view - with care, I believe anyone can get a result that they will be content (if not happy) with. If you're not happy with it - often you can sand back and start again anyway... As with anything, you can trick things up and add complexity - burst finishes, changing the shape, adding / replacing binding, certain spray effects, etc. Up to the individual.

From a wiring point of view - it can be as complex as you want. In general the easiest kits are the ST, TL, PB, JB style, where most of the wiring is pre done - in essence there are 2-3 solders. If you're confident with soldering, you can always redo these kits with new pots and caps and in essence they're all about the same. More complex kits (e.g., double neck kits) tend to have a significant number of solders to get right, or are more tricky to wire up (hollowbody kits like the ES style - all access through the "f" hole). If you want to get funky, you can trick up the electronics to add effects, funky wiring, etc., up to you. If you're really uncomfortable soldering - there are even some options for after market plug in kits / solderless pickups and components.

Ultimately - the kits are as simple or as complex as you're comfortable with. Nothing from the Pitbull range is beyond an amateur who is willing to take their time and step through things carefully and ask questions when not certain how to proceed. I have seen some total rank amateurs get good if not awesome results out of their first hollowbody, or have had issues with their kits, etc., when they have been prepared to take their time.

Personally I started with very few tools, limited woodwork or wiring experience and have now scored myself a mod role for my sins... Go figure... I think if I can then anyone can... .