Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: #7 - a birthday 12string

So, how do you know that you have finished building?... That this build is as complete as it's ever going to get?

When you strum a guitar I find quite often I can actually feel the vibrations in the body of the guitar with my chest. Even just an open string strum there are times that with both palms on the body I can sense it resonating and vibrating to the open chord...

And that's where I'm at with this build. I mocked it up with the intent of stripping it down again to finish the back, as in either some Tru-oil or some form of gloss, but I can't bring myself to do it because I'm so impressed with how it plays and resonates.

You can dismiss me being over-awed on the fact it's a 12 string because I have a 12 string acoustic that did the whole 'Wow, 12 strings' thing to me years ago.

Leaving it as it is with just sanded shellac on the back is way beyond temptation... I had a fiddle with the string heights so all are now set at 2.0mm on the 12th fret, and loosened the truss rod 1/3 of a turn, haven't even considered checking the intonation, and I'm super happy with how it plays and how it sounds electrically and acoustically. Hmmm, I'm starting to have thoughts that this build is done...

Having a working instrument is the most important thing. Looks are secondary. As long as you are content that you have done enough to guarantee the guitars longevity and you are happy, then that should be enough. If winning GotM is important to you, then you probably need to do more.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

There are winners and there are all the contenders in every competition.... and all too often I find myself in the 2nd group Fretworn... And for me GotM hasn't been any different... yet...

Even if I was to enter this build right now I need to wait until my replacement string sets show up as currently it jangles with 11, not the 12, due to the G string mate avoiding its responsibilities and duties while giving me a slash to the face in the process... Yep, it was on the bench as I leaned over it while I tuned it up for the first time to full tension, then 'ping' and there's blood dripping from my cheek... Only a drop or two... thankfully it wasn't my eye.

Whoa, that’s scary. Glad you are okay Marcel
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Ooof! Something I live in perennial fear of when changing strings. I inevitably find myself wincing and turning away as soon as things start approaching pitch. Glad it was nothing serious.

The latest in guitar tuning accessories...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	26418
    Scott.

You almost need it Weirdy, though those clear safety goggles that came with the whipper-snipper would probably be more comfortable and convenient...

It was odd too... I usually string up and tension up sitting down with the guitar in my lap so if anything snaps it shoots away from me... But this time it was on the bench with the G tuners on the far side of the headstock, and with 6 closely spaced tuners sometimes you just need to change the angle your hand needs to be to have sufficient grip to make that poofteenth of a turn. And even more rare is it let go at the bridge end, didn't snap but un-spooled from the tiny Brass thingy, plus being the highest tension at G above the high E string.... Sometimes the holes in the sliced Swiss cheese all just line up....

You have to do something to get the dosh together for that next amazing PBG kit... For me it's been doing a few amp repairs...

This repair was different, as in not very common.. Turn the power on to this wonderful Peavey and this little combo simply SCREAMED at you with nil guitar input required... an uncontrollable Full volume a screech that is usually reserved for the torments of hell ... Luckily my workshop has way of safely dealing with such errant amp behaviour until the 'problem' is identified and resolved ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_151632_resized.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	26497  

As reported earlier in this thread about the Telecaster labelled headstock on my birthday gifted Stratocaster Deluxe, well, Fender have finally 'officially' requested that the guitar gets sent to them for repair/correction. I figure I've got about 24hrs before it leaves my hands....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180518_185721_resized.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	26819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180423_173026_resized.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	26820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180423_173126_resized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	26821  

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    As reported earlier in this thread about the Telecaster labelled headstock on my birthday gifted Stratocaster Deluxe, well, Fender have finally 'officially' requested that the guitar gets sent to them for repair/correction. I figure I've got about 24hrs before it leaves my hands....
    DON'T do it!!!
    With OFFICIAL recognition you can now show it's a silly factory mix up.
    What do you gain, correct word on the headstosk.
    Lost, a genuine factory stuff up that adds interest and possibly value to it as is.

I'd be interested in talking to you about possible purchase.
    Last edited by cork sniffer; 06-06-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast