Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For them with a fruit phone

For them with a fruit phone

Graham Cochrane ( Recording Revolution ) has just recorded, edited and mixed a song on his iPhone using Garageband and only the internal mic, a pretty impressive effort

Right! Well I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an iphone....
    ....straight after my consultation with Phillip Nitschke.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Right! Well I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an iphone....
    ....straight after my consultation with Phillip Nitschke.

cheers, Mark.

Apart from my wife's iPad which is a pain in the whatsit there are no fruit devices in our house
    Last edited by dave.king1; 25-02-2018 at 09:28 AM.

You need to note that he did the recording in an acoustically treated studio. The iPhone mic is omnidirectional, so will pick up a lot more ambient sounds - especially the overall 'room' sound. So if you recorded it in an untreated room, it's never going to sound quite as good. Also, the internal mic on the iPhone peaks out at around 97dB (or at least it used to IIRC, haven't checked on the latest models), so you need to be careful not to overload it when recording amps etc. 97dB's about 1W output on a typical guitar amp at 1m away. Halve the distance away and you need to turn the amp down a lot more.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah they don't cope very well with loud amps, you can use a Jam as an interface and decent mic to get around it and line in your instrument. Also for vocals- doing it in the car as a make shift booth works really well

I'm a big proponent of Garageband. I've had every version since the first one and it just keeps getting better. In the hands of someone who actually knows what they are doing its an impressive tool. I primarily use the desktop but I collaborate with some one who uses the phone for the most part, the two versions talk to each other so its pretty handy.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

We have eleventy billion fruit devices around the house - early converts! - and I'm currently discovering how to make use of Garageband; it seems very, very easy and capable to use, even for me!! All on a desktop, I might add; the thought of mixing and mastering on a phone horrifies me! (blind as a bat, deaf as a post, fingers like pork sausages!)
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

7. Liked by: corsair

It's great that we now have the ability to do so much on a mobile phone. To exploit their full potential you do need to know their limitations though, and know a reasonable amount about effects and processing. Then you can do quite a lot with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's great that we now have the ability to do so much on a mobile phone. To exploit their full potential you do need to know their limitations though, and know a reasonable amount about effects and processing. Then you can do quite a lot with them.
    And this I think was the reasoning behind what Graham did when he took the challenge.

He is a Pro Tools guy but is always banging on about not needing the biggest / best / latest / greatest to turn out a reasonable result, he has one of many free handouts that details a very cheap shopping list for good results. ( probably cheaper than an iPhone if you have the PC to start with )

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    ( probably cheaper than an iPhone if you have the PC to start with )
    I'll probably keep struggling along with my Sennheiser MD421 and Focusrite Scarlett for the forseeable future.
    I also have the Tascam DR 05 which does quite well and all collectively cheaper than an iphone.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I'll probably keep struggling along with my Sennheiser MD421 and Focusrite Scarlett for the forseeable future.
    I also have the Tascam DR 05 which does quite well and all collectively cheaper than an iphone.

cheers, Mark.
    Great mic aren't they, I also have an SM58 and a few other odds and sods but the MD421 is always 1st into the mixer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast