Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Swtiched to EXA-1

Is that only with the Dingostain, no dark timbermate on the body or a black wash to bring out the grain being applied first? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
    Beginners mistake hey?

Thanks for the advice. I was using the cotton square but found if I squeezed it out then there was very little actually penetrating the wood. On the YouTube video it looks almost like paint going on so I guess that's what I was expecting... actually, come to think of it, the YouTube video is applying onto a quilted veneer so obviously it would look far more dramatic!

So it looks like I applied a few coats at the same time...

I will let it dry and cure and then re-assess.

Cheers
    At least you used the stain first up, on my first effort with dingotone. I did my first three coats with intensifier. Live and learn.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

The lighting in the photos makes everything look very dark however if you drowned it with 1 super stain coat it will most likely lighten up a bit as it dries out. If there is any rain about or high humidity it make take a couple of weeks to properly cure. Intensifier should help with providing a more vibrant hue and also depth of colour too.

First Bondi Blue build I have seen that came out a darker shade of blue. Most have looked like faded denim. Seems to be a tricky stain colour to work with.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Hey hesh, being ash it will be pretty thirsty and soak it up a bit and being different pieces of timber you wont get a perfectly even colour, mine was a little bit similar but on basewood 1 stain and 2 intensifier coats Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_105216.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	24939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_155218.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	24940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170716_105108.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	24941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_104000.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	24942 you might need one more stain coat as the first one has now sealed the tinber and it wont soak in as much
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Barnes View Post
    Hey hesh, being ash it will be pretty thirsty and soak it up a bit and being different pieces of timber you wont get a perfectly even colour, mine was a little bit similar but on basewood 1 stain and 2 intensifier coats Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_105216.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	24939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_155218.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	24940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170716_105108.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	24941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_104000.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	24942 you might need one more stain coat as the first one has now sealed the tinber and it wont soak in as much
    Good luck
    That’s a real nice looking guitar
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
    HELP!

I have tried staining the body with Bondi Blue. As you can see, all it has done is bring out the grain of the wood with a darker, slightly blue, stain. This was not was I was expecting at all.

1) will this go more blue as it cures?
    2) is it because it is an ash body and so already quite dark?
    3) could the stain be faulty? and yes, I did use the stain coat, not the intensifying or final coats..

Attachment 24921
    Attachment 24922
    Attachment 24923
    I haven’t used the DT stains, so can’t help much there. I quite like what it’s doing though, even if it wasn’t what you were going for or expecting!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Is that only with the Dingostain, no dark timbermate on the body or a black wash to bring out the grain being applied first? Just curious.
    Hi Simon,

No filler applied at all! I also thought it looked like that as I was looking at that technique in previous thoughts!

Interesting outcome

Hi Adam,

That is a great looking guitar! I'm hoping I'll get a similar but different with mine. I have clear coat for the neck as well so I think it'll end up fairly similar with that contrast...

Thanks for the pics... given me new hope of a good finish!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    At least you used the stain first up, on my first effort with dingotone. I did my first three coats with intensifier. Live and learn.
    Ha! I saw a few threads with that issue so I absolutely double and triple checked that it was the stain!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    The lighting in the photos makes everything look very dark however if you drowned it with 1 super stain coat it will most likely lighten up a bit as it dries out. If there is any rain about or high humidity it make take a couple of weeks to properly cure. Intensifier should help with providing a more vibrant hue and also depth of colour too.

First Bondi Blue build I have seen that came out a darker shade of blue. Most have looked like faded denim. Seems to be a tricky stain colour to work with.
    Thanks Waz. I'm in no hurry (and have little spare time anyway) so will give it a good couple of weeks and then try the intensifier. cheers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast