Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First Build: TL-1 - Let the fun begin

very nice creativity there juanitasanch , looks good

2. Liked by: juanitasanch

thanks heaps
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvna19 View Post
    very nice creativity there juanitasanch , looks good

That’s looking really cool, very original!

5. Liked by: juanitasanch

I can see this being a very cool project. Good luck and I hope it works out the way you plan.

Robbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Liked by: juanitasanch

Quote Originally Posted by juanitasanch View Post
    OK...I may have gone a bit out there and this is only first paint (swatch) ...but the dremel pic stained in earlier thread I have sanded back, then engraved again with slightly larger burr, diluted brown jarrah (light wipe on) when dry sanded again with a 400 over dremel, 240 and then 320 then 400 remaining body. Reason I didn't go higher is more I'm still testing effects. I then applied an oil sky blue with a tiny brush..to see effect and do love the contrast of blues and browns..thoughts? am I crazy.. Attachment 25509
    Nup! ... Not crazy ....

9. Liked by: juanitasanch

HI Juanita i really like the concept you're pursuing, but now i begin to wonder if the Dremel is the right tool? I like where this is going but i'm thinking the Dremel doesn't leave a distinct or crisp enough line?
    I wonder how that design would look done with small carving chisels or knives? some deeper delineation at the bottom of the lines maybe? Just throwing ideas out there.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I think it's looking good there Juanita
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    HI Juanita i really like the concept you're pursuing, but now i begin to wonder if the Dremel is the right tool? I like where this is going but i'm thinking the Dremel doesn't leave a distinct or crisp enough line?
    I wonder how that design would look done with small carving chisels or knives? some deeper delineation at the bottom of the lines maybe? Just throwing ideas out there.
    Hi Franken...Thanks for your advice..I've also tried using a wood burner a bit tricky to work with but an interesting effect. I like the idea of craving with chisel...maybe something I need to invest in .

Hi everyone..Well I have been patiently working through different finishes with the Basswood trying different grain filler, sealers, stains and oils in the end...I found the result not what I had hoped for. Main issue seems grain filler not great as the grain is tight, the stains didn't apply as I hoped.

I do like the blue and dremel..so haven't dismissed that concept yet

However today's adventure was veneer...Tasmanian Blackwood.I purchases some samples from the local wood merchant (always fun) and fitted to the body of the guitar that I"m practicing on.

I tried a range of fillers and stains on swatches from acrylic paint mixes with fine plaster board filler to timer mate.
    I really liked the oak timber mate, a subtle contrast without making the wood grain look 'dirty/muddy'.

Here are the results from today...oh and a big thanks to my friend who actually cut the 'aluminium pick guard' (very cool)

I'm also seeking any feedback on use of binding as a feature for the guitar body...I'm thinking a wild contrast possibly 'toffee apple red' or maybe even the sky blue..

veneer adhered and trimming to shape

All finished

Grain filling with timber mate (oak) diluted with water, massaged by hand, then scrapped with an hotel key card..lol

Testing with grain fillers and colours

Sanding down to 240grit

Ready to stain

Lint free cloth, long even strokes of Walnut (waterbased) - got a true oil kit from a gun store (that was an experience)

Two coats of Walnut no oil yet. Did a test on hardware (got to like the aluminium pick guard (too have final polish) Pretty Happy with my effort and what I've learnt today

If you are wondering on the other swatch that is Maple, so open to thoughts on each. Like the workbench...I made it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4226.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	25567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4220.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	25568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4230.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	25569  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    This is looking great. The experimentation is half the fun.

Bench is cool as well. Certainly makes life easier having a decent work area.

EDIT: Call me crazy..but that blue colour of the tape looks really nice against the brown. If you were super keen you could two tone it......
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

15. Liked by: juanitasanch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast