Thread: RCA-4 question

RCA-4 question

I want to put an original RIC bridge on my RCA-4 when it arrives. I have read all about shimming the neck etc but, since the body is 4-5mm thicker than a real Rick, would having the top face of the body planed down professionally be a better option? Slimmer body like original, better bridge height?

With a Ric bridge, you are going to need to rout out underneath the bridge area as Ric bridges aren't flat underneath. It doesn't need to be pretty, as it will be covered by the bridge.

Taking 4-5mm off the top will mean you loose the binding, which will need to be re-done for it to look like a Ric. The neck will also stand quite proud of the body, which won't be like a real Ric, where the bottom of the rosewood on the fretboard is level with the body. The pickup cavities might also need to be routed deeper.

A shim is going to be a lot easier.

Thanks Simon. I knew about the bridge routing but all the extra routing and the neck standing too proud might be a bit too much. I have some 0.6mm ash veneer so I’ll go that route then.