Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Decent necks in Australia?

Well that's another thought bubble popped.
    I was also entertaining the idea of tackling a 'hand tool' attempt at binding.
    It's weighing up the feasibility of investing in a learning curve to a skill that's not going to be used much.

The 'wonky' tuner holes are a well worn issue with me. I did order a 30" bass neck with 'no tuner' holes request but it came with them drilled anyway. Fortunately Freddy Krueger had a scheduled RDO this time around.

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I think we may have resolved the wonky holes on the new necks. Granted I've only physically seen and held one, but they did a great job of getting them nicely lined up.

Granted there is still some work that you could do like straightening up the fretboard after the nut. But thats pretty achievable for most people and given the average cost of the PBG necks really isn't that big a deal.

I didn't think about the limitations of fret board radius with the PBG necks, so thats valid if a 12" is not what you are after. And yes there are imperfections in the grains and the way the woods cut, so thats fair as well if you are looking for the best possible result or trygni to match a neck to an existing expensive guitar. Still, the price difference with the 'high end' necks would be a lot for me to personally justify. I'd rather invest in tools and wood stock and make my own.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

3. Liked by: Derek82

I actually decided to take a punt on another cheap Kmise neck. It's not a huge outlay if it's not good enough, I can always order one of the Japanese ones from Ace Guitar Parts if I have to, I guess..

The Kmise neck was terrible, haha... the 9th fret has been filed too much on the sides and is even sticking up a bit... oh well...

I just ordered a Mighty Mite from StewMac cause they have great cheap shipping to AU compared to most places... we'll see.

I just wanted to chime back in in case anyone stumbled on this thread...

The Mighty Mite neck from StewMac is amazing. Best neck of any of my guitars including my Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster (and people rave about those necks).

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...D%3aMIGHTYMITE

The downside is that only maple fretboard necks are available to ship outside the US... but that's what I wanted anyway.

They were on sale when I bought mine, but now that I know how good they are, I'd even pay the current price. Also I ordered it on the Monday and I had it by friday all for just $50 shipping with other stuff. Shipping on Warmoth necks was just ridiculous.

Anyway.. highly recommended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2