Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Tele build scheduled for this year.

Looking at ordering one of these all maple Tele necks from Stewmac, since it looks like they'll fit the neck pocket of the Tele body, I may need to order some neck shims as well:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and..._for_Tele.html

Or, I might order one of these necks from Warmouth .com:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Classic...Shape=4&Type=4
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 05-03-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Update:

Rightio, time for an update, been looking through all the necks they have in stock at The Stratosphere, and I've elected to buy one of these next fortnight:

https://stratosphereparts.com/2018-f...c-shape-maple/

Should do the job fine since it is an official Fender guitar neck and should fit the neck pocket on the body I bought, will be ordering the hardware upgrade kit and Tortoiseshell scratchplate the following fortnight, and then the Tonerider Hot Classics the fortnight after that, so hopefully the custom telecaster should be finished by July this year.....getting really excited about that.

Good choices there Doc, I absolutely love my Hot Classics so much tone range it's not funny

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Good choices there Doc, I absolutely love my Hot Classics so much tone range it's not funny

I had a look through all the Telecaster wiring-diagrams in my guitar Player Repair Guide book I bought from Stewmac, and settled on opting to wire-up my custom Telecaster as per a 1966 Fender Standard Telecaster, as it seems the most popular, and it looked the most versatile, so once wired up, the pickup combinations are as follows:

Position 1 Neck Pickup + Tone Control.

Position 2 Neck Pickup + Bridge Pickup + Tone Control.

Position 3 Bridge Pickup + Tone Control.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I had a look through all the Telecaster wiring-diagrams in my guitar Player Repair Guide book I bought from Stewmac, and settled on opting to wire-up my custom Telecaster as per a 1966 Fender Standard Telecaster, as it seems the most popular, and it looked the most versatile, so once wired up, the pickup combinations are as follows:

Position 1 Neck Pickup + Tone Control.

Position 2 Neck Pickup + Bridge Pickup + Tone Control.

Position 3 Bridge Pickup + Tone Control.
    That's how all three of my Teles are wired, one has vintage Schaller humbuckers, one has Blackguard spec single coils and the third has the Tonerider Hot Classics.

Three very different voices and all fun to play.

Should add, the HB Tele has a Wilkinson compensated top strung three saddle hard tail style bridge, the Thinline ( Blackguard pups ) stock Tele three saddle strung through bridge and the Tuff Dog with the Hot Classics has a six saddle strung through Wilkinson bridge

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    That's how all three of my Teles are wired, one has vintage Schaller humbuckers, one has Blackguard spec single coils and the third has the Tonerider Hot Classics.

Three very different voices and all fun to play.

Should add, the HB Tele has a Wilkinson compensated top strung three saddle hard tail style bridge, the Thinline ( Blackguard pups ) stock Tele three saddle strung through bridge and the Tuff Dog with the Hot Classics has a six saddle strung through Wilkinson bridge

The hardware kit I'm going to be ordering for my custom Tele build includes a Wilkinson bridge that features three brass compensated saddles, I've never tried Wilkinson guitar parts before so this custom Tele build is a good enough excuse to give it a go.

https://www.realparts.com.au/guitar-...it-chrome.html

The Wilkinson brass saddles are good. I've got them fitted to the Fender bridge on my Road Worn Tele. It intonates well.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The Wilkinson brass saddles are good. I've got them fitted to the Fender bridge on my Road Worn Tele. It intonates well.

That was one of my concerns when going with a three-saddle bridge setup, getting it to intonate well, hence the reason I chose the compensated saddles, I never thought that I would be one who would like Teles a lot, but I surprised myself, I like the simplicity of the Tele and it's workhorse-like vibe, a mate of mine is coming to visit me today and he's going to get me to do some work on his Tele to sort out it's electronics, should be an interesting job.

Here's a hand-drawn version of the 1966 Fender Standard Telecaster wiring-diagram I found in my Guitar Player Repair Guide book, feel free to use this if you're in the process of doing a Telecaster build, hope it proves useful, note; it may not be necessary but make sure you include a ground wire that links the shields of the volume and tone pots together:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966 Telecaster Wiring_2_resized.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	26518

You don't actually need that link, Doc, as the nice metal control plate on a Tele does that job for you. But it's better to have it in case the nuts on the pots become a bit loose. Easily fixable, but you wouldn't want it to start playing up mid-gig.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast