Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Tele build scheduled for this year.

Update:

I managed to get a new bone nut installed on my Andoer maple Telecaster neck, had to use a square needle file to deepen the existing nut trench a bit because the nut was sitting a bit too high, I used some PVA wood glue to glue the bone nut in place, the neck is all ready to be installed on the body, which is due to arrive in the post by March 6th, I'm hoping that I can finish building the custom Telecaster by April if nothing goes pear-shaped in the meantime.

New bone nut installed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bone Nut_resized.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	25021
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Woohoo!!!.....some good news, a parcel card just arrived in the post for the parcel containing the Butterscotch Blonde Telecaster body I bought on eBay, I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to go and pick it up cause I got to the post office a bit too late, will post a pic of it once I get it home.

3. Liked by: JoeSmith

It's finally here!!!!.....YAY!!!

Just got back from picking up the parcel from the post office and yes indeed the new Telecaster body has arrived, I've just unboxed it and it looks really nice, the finish on it is nice and smooth all over, I'm quite impressed at the general quality of the body itself, all the routing looks like it was done very accurately, the holes for the string ferrules have been drilled through the body in a straight line, the only downside is that the all maple Andoer neck is a bit too wide by about 2mm to fit in the neck pocket, the neck heel is also about 2mm too thick, so I've got two options, get the neck machined down to fit or buy another neck on eBay.

I can just make-out the grain pattern in the wood used to make the body and looks nice, incidentally the wood is Alder.

Overall, I'm very happy with the body, the Butterscotch Blonde finish seems to go really well with a maple neck.

Now for some pics:

Name:	Body Parcel_resized.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	25170

Name:	Tele Body 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	25171

Name:	Tele Body 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	25172

And here's a rough mockup of what the body would look like with the Andoer neck attached to it:

Name:	Rough Tele Mockup_resized.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	25177
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 02-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Nice, shame about the fitment issues.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

For sure, otherwise I'd be one step closer to getting it all together, ready for assembly, fortunately I'm not in too much of a hurry to get the Telecaster built, since I've got two other guitars I can play in the meantime.

Rightio, according to the description I read on eBay, the Butterscotch Blonde Telecaster body I bought was actually intended as a replacement body for a standard Fender Telecaster, so, knowing that, I'm going to have a good look around online for a Fender Telecaster neck going for a good price, so far I've found a couple of likely candidates on The Stratosphere, therefore that makes this a partscaster build.

I would like to find an all maple neck, preferably with an amber tint finish, but I'll see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    ...and then you need another Tele body to go with the neck!

You mean the neck I was originally going to use?

I'm looking at buying one of these necks from The Stratosphere for the body, it's an official Fender neck so it should fit in the neck pocket:

https://stratosphereparts.com/fender...le-nitro-sale/

Just realized that it's a made in Mexico neck, as per what it says on the back of the headstock, but the way I see it, logically, the Fender factory in Mexico should make the guitar parts to the same specs as the Fender USA factory.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-03-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Whoever said companies were logical?

Note that neck's got a vintage radius board, so it's not going to be easy getting a low action on it. Maybe look for a 9.5" radius one?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Whoever said companies were logical?

Note that neck's got a vintage radius board, so it's not going to be easy getting a low action on it. Maybe look for a 9.5" radius one?

Good point, the Andoer maple neck I was planning on using has a more modern and flatter 16 inch radius fretboard on it, it's a pity that it doesn't fit the neck pocket on the Tele body I bought, cause it would have been ideal for playing slide Blues.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast