Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Inspirational stuff John. The finished one looks great.

I know I lack the skill to make an acoustic guitar, but you have got me thinking outside the box now.

Looking forward to see how they all progress.

rob
    Thanks Rob. I also don't think I could tackle an acoustic build, but I have some hope that if I keep pluggin away at these strange side-projects then someday I'll accidentally find I've acquired all the skills I need!

I'm a huge fan of your builds too, by the way
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    For those inspired and looking for a project next Wednesday...
    Woo! Cheap at twice the price
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Went through my old notes last night to reacquaint myself with octave mandolin specs.

The skip guitar has a scale length of 608mm (23.9"), and a nut width of 46mm. Octave mandolins don't seem to have a standardised scale length, but can sit anywhere between 20.5" and 23.5" (though I also found some as short as 19"), so the guitar is at the longer end, but will work.

The final instrument will be double strung and tuned GDAE (one octave below a mandolin), with the extra strings on the bass side being an octave higher (like on a 12 string guitar). I'm probably going to down tune to GDGD, as all the traditional Chinese instruments I play are tuned this way and it feels more comfortable for me.

Because it's double strung, I'm a bit worried about the tension on the neck. I have previously used Thomastik flat wound strings on my older, antique mandolins because even though they're expensive they have really low tension and so they protect the neck. I don't know if there is a longer version available, but will investigate. Will also think about adding in a truss rod.
    Last edited by JohnH; 02-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Also, if I can get this to work, I'm quite likely to end up performing with it and so would like to be able to plug it into an amp.

Spent part of last night researching preamps, etc... and think I've settled on something like this:

https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.co...em_p_6417.html

It will fit (just - it'll mean cutting slightly into the kerfed lining), provided the shape of the unit will conform to the curve of the guitar shoulder.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Just realised the 'Redstone' Richlite fingerboards from ALS are on sale, so have ordered one. I'm very keen to embrace wood alternatives, so I look forward to seeing what they feel like, and what the colour is like in real life.

In the meantime I'll have to rescue my fret mitre-box from the deepest, darkest bowels of the back shed.

And find my packet of left over inlay dots.

And decide whether to radius the board.

And (the list goes on...)
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Some nice rescue work John, they will come up a treat.

Thanks Stan!
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

It took me forever, but I eventually found my inlay dots, fret mitre box, these two rosettes, and a couple of cool headstock face plates.

I also found the brace wood, though only enough to make two of the three braces. I was pretty sure I had bought more than that, but who knows - it probably got given to someone, or used for something, or it's hiding in an incredibly obvious spot. No drama to buy more.

I was also pretty sure I had already bought these tuners, but it seems I was mistaken. I have lots of mandolin tuners lying about, but none for a slotted headstock. Again, no real drama.

I did get some actual work in on the guitar today, plugging the tuner holes. I had some 8mm Tassie oak dowel lying around, and the tuner holes were 7mm (give or take), so I drilled them out, put some glue in and hammered the dowel in. I really, really should have used a different (and a new) drill bit. I got four out of the six holes drilled fine, but two had some epic tear out. The little bit of blue tape is holding in a piece I had to glue back on.

It looks pretty manky, but I didn’t see much point finishing the job of removing all the finish only to have to sand it again once the dowel was cut
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Hmm, links to Imgur images don't seem to be working. Shall have a play and see if I can fix it...

EDIT: seems fine now. Who knows.
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-02-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Got some more done today. Trimmed the dowel plugs and sanded them flush, and sanded the last of the old finish off. I just need to get some skewers or tooth picks to plug the screw holes, and also need to glue and cleat a couple of small cracks in the soundboard.

Also got the Richlite in the mail last week, and am marking it up for slot-cutting. I obviously can't give it a review as I've still not cut or used it yet, but I have to say it feels pretty nice. Dense and uniform, and a much nicer colour than the sample swatch on the ALS website.

#002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast