Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A little bit of love for the Acoustic

Samick Greg Bennet OMCE -18 bought in 1998(-ish) in Christchurch, NZ when I suddenly needed an acoustic for stagework, and I didn't have one at all! Oddly, it's OK - reasonably credible as a pure acoustic but plug it in and electrify it and it comes alive and sounds really good through the PA!
    I also recently found a couple of Vantage acoustics here in a pawn shop in Hervey Bay and bought 'em both for $300; they are Matsumoku guitars from the early 80s and are very, very capable guitars.
    I sold my Maton in about 1976 to fund the "next big thing", which was an Ovation... which I never, ever bonded with and hated; moved it on for an Ibanez 12 string acoustic in about 1982...
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

I've looked at the Gretch Jim Dandy acoustics.....nice little parlour size. but I just know I'd never play it. LOL
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Currently playing an Alvarez. I had an vintage Takamine for a long time. Back when they still had Martin rip-off headstocks like this one...

It had a really thin neck and was really difficult to play, but I persevered with it for about 20 years.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    I have a 1970s Marina dred, surprisingly ok for a Chinese instrument of that era
    A brand I've never heard of, I shall look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Here ya go FW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xuoXcme.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	24467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bWZ6z53.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	24468

My brother wanted to leave his Tak with me instead but I felt he should be hanging onto it because it was better and I wasn't really an acoustic type of guy, so he went and purchased a really nice Maton and gave the Tak away ( bastrad )
    Last edited by dave.king1; 27-01-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Here ya go FW

Name:	xuoXcme.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	24467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bWZ6z53.jpg 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	24468

My brother wanted to leave his Tak with me instead but I felt he should be hanging onto it because it was better and I wasn't really an acoustic type of guy, so he went and purchased a really nice Maton and gave the Tak away ( bastrad )
    Lovely clean looking guitar Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab

looks good FW....13's eh....ouch!
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    looks good FW....13's eh....ouch!
    The FrankenLab has a penchant for heavy handedness Andy.
    FrankenLab

Here are my acoustics in order of acquisition, earliest on the left.

Name:	Takamine small.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	24472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin DR small.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	340.3 KB 
ID:	24473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha Flamenco small.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	24474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tanglewood TW145 12 SC small.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	24475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson C&W small.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	24476

So we have:

1) 1999 Takamine Santa Fe DSF-48C. Bought new. The original digital DSF pre-amp was a battery eater and I replaced it with the Cool Tube model. It now sounds a lot better when plugged in and new batteries won't be needed mid-gig. Nice but not outstanding when played acoustically due to its fairly solid feedback reducing construction, but it shines when amplified. Solid spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides. Mahogany neck, ebony fretboard.

2) Martin DR Acoustic. A well used guitar before I obtained it, this has a great action and the Fishman soundhole pickup was a bonus for the price. Solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany neck.

3) Nylon strings means this must be my Yamaha CG-171SF (love the snappy name) flamenco style guitar. Solid spruce top with cypress wood back/sides and an ebony fretboard gives it a brighter tone than standard classical guitar. It has a nice sound to it and was obtained via eBay from nearly new at a quarter of the cost of the new price.

I've replaced the original plain and slightly creaky machine heads with a better and fancier looking set.

4) Tanglewood TW145-12 SC twelve-string guitar. This was an utter new bargain and the B-Band pickup system sounds fantastic. Solid cedar top, laminated mahogany back and sides. The body is quite small but quite deep (Tanglewood's 'folk' size). It's so clear and jangly and I love this guitar. I should really play it more!

5) 1965 Gibson Country Western. It's been a working guitar and as a result has a few knocks and scrapes in the finish, but is structurally sound. The clear lacquer has darkened considerably over time, and it's obvious where the lacquer has worn away over the binding as the binding shows through as almost white. The neck is thin, so it's easy to play.and the action is good. It's a very light guitar, almost nothing to it, and has a corresponding light tone to it, not like a typical dreadnought at all.

Solid cedar top, solid mahogany back, sides and neck, Brazilian rosewood fretboard.

I've replaced the tuners with identical new types, as one was very bent and one was rather stiff - obviously keeping the originals safely stored away. I initially replaced the original ceramic bridge with a Tusq one (which supposedly improves the sound but I didn't notice any difference). Since I took this photo I've replaced the whole adjustable bridge with a solid bone one and replaced the cheap plastic bridge pins with some bone ones. Obviously the new bridge looks a bit chunky but it has cured the slight rattle on the top G and E strings.

I generally use 0.012"s or 0.013"s on the Takamine and Martin, the lightest set of strings that I can find for the 12 string (normally 0.010"s), high tension strings (currently Aquila) for the Yamaha and 0.013"s for the Gibson. The Gibson needs heavier strings to help bring out the low end and could really do with even heavier strings on the bottom three strings.

Your Tak and mine share many features Simon, mine is my go to for acoustic playing, closely followed by the Dobro. If I’m feeling hip and un square, then I’ll play my Eastman arch top.
    FrankenLab

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast