Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nut Files

Has anyone ever used torch cleaners for oxy-acetylene plants?? Before nut files were a 'thing' available to the general public - in NZ, at least - that's what we all used?? Anyone as old as me?? daveking??

Quote Originally Posted by corsair5517 View Post
    Has anyone ever used torch cleaners for oxy-acetylene plants?? Before nut files were a 'thing' available to the general public - in NZ, at least - that's what we all used?? Anyone as old as me?? daveking??
    We use the same thing as nozzle cleaners for our HP jets, I've never made a nut so shouldn't really comment but I would have thought the thinner ones would bend too easily, whereas the proper nut file you have the strength as it is used sideways on if you catch my drift...

I didn't say it was easy... or even efficacious! You had to be very careful indeed with the skinny ones..

Some places do sell them as nut files.... like I said I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but would have thought it would take an age with these..

Quote Originally Posted by corsair5517 View Post
    I have used these and they work ok. The main problem is that the thinner ones are too flexible, which makes it harder to get a consistent depth across the slot. I recently bought a jewelers saw ($19) and I am now using a piece of guitar string to cut the slots for wound strings. It's a little slow, as the string is not very abrasive, but the bonus is that it cuts exactly the right size!

These are super cheap...and since so am I, I tried them for a bass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nutrods.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	29721

I was prepared for them to have been a waste of cash, but they actually worked pretty well. You can get them for guitar or bass. Haven't tried them for guitar, and it may be that they are so thin that they would bend easily. But for bass, they seemed to work well. Aside from the price, the obvious advantage to them is that they are the same shape as a string rather than square or v-shapped.

They worked well enough for bass that I plan to get a set to try with a guitar nut. If we all live long enough for me to complete that project, I'll report on how it goes...

I ordered this set of bass nut files from Amazon. About $40 and they did the job nicely.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had been planning on getting the music nomad bass nut files, but decided that I wasn't doing enough guitars to justify the cost.
    https://www.amazon.com/MusicNomad-MN...mi%2C70&sr=1-5

Ooh that's a nice find if they work. I've been looking around for some myself, because the bass kit I ordered doesn't come prefiled. Good to know that they work ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2