Thread: Which TL kit?

Which TL kit?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at the newer GTL-1 2 piece ash kit w maple fretboard. Can anyone tell me if there's much of a quality difference between suppliers? If I don't end up doing a natural finish, should I just go with the other slightly cheaper TL kit?

Thanks!

Derek.

p.s. You guys are doing amazing work. Thank you for sharing your projects.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I think I remember adam saying the G is produced in the Korean factory and is of slightly better finish.

I could be wrong though and have no experience with either kit.

3. Liked by: Derek82

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsworthy View Post
    I think I remember adam saying the G is produced in the Korean factory and is of slightly better finish.

I could be wrong though and have no experience with either kit.
    Ah yeah, I remember Adam saying something like that about the initial gtl kits.

Derek,

You pose an interesting question. Having built a TLA-1R and a 2 piece ash tele, if I were to do it again, the deciding factor for me would be the type of finish.

The TLA kits can have 4 - 5 planks of ash glued together all with differing grain.

Its no problem if you intend to paint, but it is also not bad if its kind of disguised with a darker stain or a burst.

If you are going for a clearer finish or no stain it may not look the best and therefore, in that case I would definatley choose the G Kit

Thats my two cents
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

6. Liked by: Derek82

The kit bridge on the GTL-1 is a more traditional 'ashtray' design than that supplied with the TL-1 kit, which has a flat plate design. As they come, both bridges are set up for top-loading but the GTL-1 bridge can also be through-strung if you are prepared to drill your own holes through the body and buy some rear ferrules. You can do the same on a TL-1 but you'd need to buy a new bridge as well.

Also, the TL-1 kits have pre-drilled neck holes which are generally not that well positioned with regards to the supplied neck plate holes. The GTL-1 kits don't have pre drilled holes, so although you've got to drill the holes yourself, you get a better neck fixing as a result.

Personally I prefer the smaller neck pickup rout of the GTL-1 compared to the humbucker rout of the TL-1 (obviously unless you plan to fit a humbucker there).

I like Ash as a body material, but it does require a lot of grain filling to get a smooth surface. For a painted finish a basswood TL-1 requires less work. The GTL-1's Ash body is guaranteed 2-piece, so (IMO) will always look better under a transparent or translucent finish than a 3- or 4-piece body. I'm struggling to find a finished GTL-1 picture, so don't know if they take a bit more care on matching the pieces for the body on the GTL-1 than on the TLA-1.

The bridge pickup rout for the TL-1 kits often need enlarging slightly in order to get the bridge position correct for intonation. I'm not sure about the GTL-1 as a quick look hasn't found a picture or build diary for one.

I don't think the GTL-1 kits are Korean, just sourced from a different Chinese factory that Adam met up with at the Frankfurt Music Messe last year. These were the Korean kits he was thinking about stocking: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ghlight=korean

My own choice would be for a GTL-1 kit, regardless of finish.

8. Liked by: Derek82

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The kit bridge on the GTL-1 is a more traditional 'ashtray' design than that supplied with the TL-1 kit, which has a flat plate design. As they come, both bridges are set up for top-loading but the GTL-1 bridge can also be through-strung if you are prepared to drill your own holes through the body and buy some rear ferrules. You can do the same on a TL-1 but you'd need to buy a new bridge as well.

Also, the TL-1 kits have pre-drilled neck holes which are generally not that well positioned with regards to the supplied neck plate holes. The GTL-1 kits don't have pre drilled holes, so although you've got to drill the holes yourself, you get a better neck fixing as a result.

Personally I prefer the smaller neck pickup rout of the GTL-1 compared to the humbucker rout of the TL-1 (obviously unless you plan to fit a humbucker there).

I like Ash as a body material, but it does require a lot of grain filling to get a smooth surface. For a painted finish a basswood TL-1 requires less work. The GTL-1's Ash body is guaranteed 2-piece, so (IMO) will always look better under a transparent or translucent finish than a 3- or 4-piece body. I'm struggling to find a finished GTL-1 picture, so don't know if they take a bit more care on matching the pieces for the body on the GTL-1 than on the TLA-1.

The bridge pickup rout for the TL-1 kits often need enlarging slightly in order to get the bridge position correct for intonation. I'm not sure about the GTL-1 as a quick look hasn't found a picture or build diary for one.

I don't think the GTL-1 kits are Korean, just sourced from a different Chinese factory that Adam met up with at the Frankfurt Music Messe last year. These were the Korean kits he was thinking about stocking: http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ghlight=korean

My own choice would be for a GTL-1 kit, regardless of finish.
    Thanks for the info Simon and Andy. Simon, I think the string through body bridge on the Gtl-1 would be great. I wouldn't have to upgrade to a wilkinson in that case.

Call me stupid, but I've had fantasies about grain filling an ash tele body. So many combinations of coloured grain filler and transparent but coloured finishes clog my head. So many options and no time to do it. Lol.