Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: first build - thinline Tele

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tooth Hopkins View Post
    I teach at a school that has one. We all occasionally use it as means to “upskill” - and it’s not hard to get a piece of scrap plywood.
    Damn, I work with the education dept and neither of the 2 schools I work at have laser cutters. Lucky bugger!

I’ve not long finished mine. I made the neck holes larger and all was well in the world. Good fun kit to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good one Rockfactor!

Do you find the bigsby heavy on a basswood body?
    Current Build:

Semi-Hollow Telecaster w/ 5 way switch (build diary)

Not a real progress, but the replacement maple neck arrived. Very prompt service. So fitting it onto the body looks like this

Now curiosity got to me so I had the two necks side by side.

The maple neck appear to have a longer section ahead of the truss rod hole. I also found that the maple one appear to be much smoother already. Nice little surprise as the neck is 22 frets (same with the rosewood, I just didn’t realize it at the time)

Experienced builders - do you normally sand the neck as well? It seems quite smooth already. If you do, do you hand sand the neck as it has a curved surface? What about the fretboard itself?

I’m planning on finishing the neck with dingotone acacia front and back. Leave the finishing coat off the fretboard as DB suggests, and put the dingo wax on the fretboard.
    Current Build:

first build - thinline Tele

Good one Rockfactor!

Do you find the bigsby heavy on a basswood body?
    No it’s not too bad at all to be honest. I did grow up playing a Les Paul though I’m really pleased with the way mine turned out.

Edit: playing a Les Paul, not laying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rockfactor; 26-01-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Not a real progress, but the replacement maple neck arrived. Very prompt service. So fitting it onto the body looks like this

Now curiosity got to me so I had the two necks side by side.

The maple neck appear to have a longer section ahead of the truss rod hole. I also found that the maple one appear to be much smoother already. Nice little surprise as the neck is 22 frets (same with the rosewood, I just didn’t realize it at the time)

Experienced builders - do you normally sand the neck as well? It seems quite smooth already. If you do, do you hand sand the neck as it has a curved surface? What about the fretboard itself?

I’m planning on finishing the neck with dingotone acacia front and back. Leave the finishing coat off the fretboard as DB suggests, and put the dingo wax on the fretboard.
    I would always suggest to sand everything. The neck on my guitar had scratches that didnt show up until i had put a coat of stain on. Needless to say it had to all come off. Theres pics if you want to see under my name, nitroburner1000, on JM-1 page 11.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

This build is progressing very very slowly.....

Good news is, I’ve got two students who are now going to order pit bull basses and start building.

Anyhow, got a brief moment to laser cut the f hole reenforcement. The web was lacking exact matches of the F hole so I had to trace it by hand, then scanned it, then image traced using adobe illustrator, then export to laser cutter.

Happy with the result. Now I need to pop it under the f hole and stick it.

Thanks weirdbits for the inspiration. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2230.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	25472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2229.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	25473
    Current Build:

This build is progressing very very slowly.....

Good news is, I’ve got two students who are now going to order pit bull basses and start building.

Anyhow, got a brief moment to laser cut the f hole reenforcement. The web was lacking exact matches of the F hole so I had to trace it by hand, then scanned it, then image traced using adobe illustrator, then export to laser cutter.

Happy with the result. Now I need to pop it under the f hole and stick it.

Thanks weirdbits for the inspiration. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2230.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	25472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2229.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	25473
    Gehoivey! That's some clever Vyving! You'll need to get some TEENY WEENY clamps to hold that in place while you glue it.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Gavmeister used to use very strong magnets to clamp his F-hole veneers while the glue dried.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I’m considering using tiny bulldog clips with a bit of packaging thin foam sheets to prevent denting.
    Current Build:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast