Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon B's Custom ESB-4 Build.

In a non hijack, Simon, your friend will have a killer bass. The finish is what I wanted to do, before I messed up the veneer.

I am surprisingly happy with my two point bridge, bit it was more a matter of necessity than choice.

Your reasoning in the tuners and pups is dead on, I think. I am just floored by the poor quality control from high end mfgs!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yes, Rustins. I've still got my big tin of the grain filler I used on the ES-3 (probably wasn't required at all), but as a lot of the luthier suppliers I've looked at recommend or sell the Rustins. I thought I'd try it out. I've hardly used any of it, only in a few particular spots.

I think I'm going to have to offset the tuners, as I think I'm at least 3mm short of enough headstock width to get the Xtender sitting across from the G tuner. I'll trace the headstock out tomorrow and try a layout on cardboard to see if it's just possible. If it's not, then I'll look at reshaping the headstock to look like the stagger was part of the design. It's currently a standard G****n shape, not much bigger than a LP headstock, so I haven't got a lot to play with, but I'll see what I can do. Can't go too weird or it won't fit in with the body shape.

The 25mm-long M8 flanged hex-drive inserts arrived today. Unfortunately they are too small for the pre-drilled holes. The sides taper and they are only really wide enough right at the top. Also, the hex key insert section is pretty deep, so only the very end of the fixing stud screws in.

Here you can see that they are certainly longer, but you can see how it tapers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3739.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	24417

Anyway, I found out that Kluson make 1.25" long (just less than 32mm) anchor bushings, so have just ordered some of those. Had to order from the States so they should take between 1-2 weeks to arrive. Only one place in the UK seemed to stock them, but they only had the shorter versions, and even then, only one size (same as I've already got) was in stock. Well, I won't really need them for a while, but I'd have like to have them so that I can drill the anchor holes out to the correct depth before starting any staining etc. The Klusons don't have any flange on the top, so I don't want to over-drill.

Those are really odd. Why in the world would they be made with a taper. Very curious about the Klutsons...

I did a little checking and I think the problem with the insets you found first may be that they were for soft wood.

I found these that have similar specs for hard wood...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGO5HE6...a-308613287691

That's probably it. The trouble is it's only really obvious once you see them close up. You live and learn!

Indeed. I hope my wife never finds out how many extra parts I have from ordering the wrong thing time and again...

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Indeed. I hope my wife never finds out how many extra parts I have from ordering the wrong thing time and again...
    eventually you end up with enough wrong parts to outfit a whole kit and you congratulate yourself on how cheap that build was
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G